Oil/Gas/How to figure decimal interst.

Question
Mr. Scott
I have what seems to be a confusing royalty question.  I have a Royalty interest (NPRI) in Texas.  The royalty deed from the 1930's reads 100 royalty acre interest in 3718.5 acres encompassing 10 surveys, some completely and some partially, described by metes and bounds.  I have plotted the boundaries of the 3718.5 acres within the boundaries of all 10 surveys.  In the 1990's some horizontal wells were drilled, all within the 3718.5 interest.  There were 5 separate units ranging from 250 to 400 acres for a total of 1715 acres.  What figures do I use to get my decimal interest.  I have tried several ways.  Do I divide 100/3718.5 and then divide by 1715(unit size) x 1/8 or do I take 100/1715 then x 1/8 to learn my decimal? There was production and we were not notified.  I am researching to see if there is enough interest to pursue since I have learned of a statue of limitations as to recovery of funds. I appreciate your time and effort in your response.

Answer
To determine your decimal interest you'd want to take the royalty acres owned and divide it by the spacing unit size, then multiply the result by the royalty fraction. The result would be your decimal interest.

Looks like for you the formula would be (as you guessed) 100/1715 X .125 = .0072886 or so for your royalty interest within the combined units. You could use the same formula and substitute individual unit sizes in place of 1715 to figure out your decimal interest for a particular unit, rather than all of them as a whole.

Hope this helps you out.
Frederick M. "Mick" Scott CMM RPL
www.mineralhub.com
The Mineral Hub  

Oil/Gas

Frederick M. Scott