You are here:

Oil/Gas/Mineral rights


We have mineral rights in carter county oklahoma S:5, T:4S, R:3.  They were in my recently deceased husbands name and i have been getting offers to sell, however i do not know how many acres we had in this area.  How do i find that out, and i have learned that they have been drilling in the area for 3 years, but i have not recieved any payments or info on the drilling.  How do i handle this?  This is all new to me.

Thank you for your time

In order to find out what is owned, you'd either need to look for mailings your husband received from oil companies wanting to lease the interest that may have included the acreage, or you could visit the county clerk's office in Carter County and search for records indicating what your husband owned. Another way to find out would be to contact the people wanting to buy them as they may have done a title search already to determine what he owned. In order to sell them you'd need to have his estate probated in Oklahoma if it hasn't been already because until you do that the minerals are still in his name and you won't be able to sell them to most companies.

The Oklahoma Corporation Commission (the regulatory body for oil and gas in Oklahoma) has a wealth of information available online relating to oil and gas activity and production in Oklahoma. You can look up such things as drilling permits, recent production information, well completion reports, forced-pooling orders, and anything else that falls under their jurisdiction.

Hope this helps you out.
Frederick M. "Mick" Scott CMM RPL
The Mineral Hub  


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Frederick M. Scott


Oil and gas leasing, lease negotiations, how to best deal with the oil and gas companies or their representatives, buying/selling mineral rights, forced-pooling, correlative rights, deeds and conveyances, and "post-production" costs. I am most experienced with Oklahoma properties and laws, but am able to answer questions concerning other oil and gas producing states in many cases.


I am a Certified Professional Mineral Manager (CMM) certified by the National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO) in Tulsa, OK. I am also a Registered Professional Landman (RPL) with the American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL). I have managed my family's oil and gas properties in Oklahoma for over 10 years and have dealt with many landmen, title analysts, attorneys and other oil and gas professionals in the process. I have written several articles which have appeared in various oil and gas industry magazines and newsletters. I have negotiated and drafted leases, prepared deeds, affidavits, and other legal instruments relating to my own minerals, as well as performed title, legal research, and curative work for same. I have acquired a good deal of knowledge on the subjects of oil and gas law, mineral appraisal, and landwork over the past ten years, and also worked as a professional landman and lease buyer for a time. I've seen the business from "both sides" and therefore feel confident I can help out most of the folks who ask questions in this forum.

National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO); American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL)

National Association of Royalty Owners "Action Report" (ROAR); NADOA Magazine, The Mineral Hub, Landman Magazine, and several royalty owner association group's newsletters.

Certified Mineral Manager (CMM), Registered Professional Landman (RPL)

©2017 All rights reserved.