Oil/Gas/Mineral rights

Question
We have mineral rights in carter county oklahoma S:5, T:4S, R:3.  They were in my recently deceased husbands name and i have been getting offers to sell, however i do not know how many acres we had in this area.  How do i find that out, and i have learned that they have been drilling in the area for 3 years, but i have not recieved any payments or info on the drilling.  How do i handle this?  This is all new to me.

Thank you for your time

Answer
In order to find out what is owned, you'd either need to look for mailings your husband received from oil companies wanting to lease the interest that may have included the acreage, or you could visit the county clerk's office in Carter County and search for records indicating what your husband owned. Another way to find out would be to contact the people wanting to buy them as they may have done a title search already to determine what he owned. In order to sell them you'd need to have his estate probated in Oklahoma if it hasn't been already because until you do that the minerals are still in his name and you won't be able to sell them to most companies.

The Oklahoma Corporation Commission (the regulatory body for oil and gas in Oklahoma) has a wealth of information available online relating to oil and gas activity and production in Oklahoma. You can look up such things as drilling permits, recent production information, well completion reports, forced-pooling orders, and anything else that falls under their jurisdiction.

Hope this helps you out.
Frederick M. "Mick" Scott CMM RPL
www.mineralhub.com
The Mineral Hub  

Oil/Gas

Frederick M. Scott