Oil/Gas/Cementing

Question

I will be a field engineer responsible for cementing for one of the biggest service companies. I have been searching for the career pathway for cementing field engineers but failed to find information. It seems to me that the career pathway for cementing field engineers is dead and not much advancement can be seen in the future. I would like to get into drilling or completions soon or later. Any advice on what I should do?

Besides drilling and completions, what are the other operations that a cementing field engineer can advance based on the experience gained? I am more into the career pathway for a cementing field engineer. Your time and answer is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Answer
The cementing process is an integral part to the well construction process.  The knowledge and experience that you will gain while working in this job role will be used for the rest of your career.  Many people do not realize the importance of designing and obtaining an excellent primary cement job, especially in the production casing section of the well.  The career pathway for someone with this experience is not dead, it is very promising, and once you get this experience under your belt I am sure that you will not have any problems finding many opportunities in many areas of the industry.  In addition to drilling and completions you could look at well integrity management, production operations, interventions, drilling fluids and many more!  Congratulations on your new position!  Learn as much as you can and remember to make it your mission to design and execute each job with great attention to detail and flawless execution!  Good luck!!

Oil/Gas

David Traugott