Oil/Gas/Ethane/Naphtha Cracker power

Dear Chris,
How much power does an Ethane/Naphtha cracker consume?  Are they powered by the same gas in their feedstocks? If so how is it split? For example an ethane cracker is it 50% to feedstock and 50% ethane to power generation for the cracking process?

natural gas separation
natural gas separation  
Your question will most likely depend on several factors.  

- is the cracker already build and or established?  if not.

Then the power consumption will depend on the design and the feedstock that enters into the processes.

To answer your question about is the cracker powered by its own feedstock? this also depends on the economics of each batch that you are.  If your feedstock yields a finished product that is more valuable than an alternative source of energy to fuel the cracker, than it would not be financially feasible to power your cracker.

At this point I would like to make the disclaimer statement in that I do not know your exact situation and because of this I can not recommend or specifically answer your question with anything that can be taken as a guarantee

Without spending that much time on it and with the limited background given, I would NOT be surprised if the answer to you questions would be a dry raw natural gas if it was cheaply  available

Chris Termeer

Chris Termeer

I can answer a broad variety of questions about oil and gas in the upstream, midstream, and downstream sectors of the industry. Topics of knowledge include but are not limited to: * History of the industry * Basic questions about formation of hydrocarbons (hydrocarbon window, geologic processes that create oil and gas formations) * Types of formation structures, source rocks, and traps * Surrounding production analysis (how to, importance of etc) * Basic questions about magnetic surveys, geometric surveys, seismic surveys (2D and 3D) and radiometric surveys. (Including relative strengths and weaknesses and how performed.) * Basic questions of cable tool drilling * Complex questions about rotary drilling, its components, operations, how to set up a rig. Drilling operations including fluid/mud, cuttings analysis, downhole testing, directional drilling, making and tripping pipe, cementing casing (importance of and how performed etc), common drilling mistakes and problems. * Complex questions about post- (though sometimes occurs during) drilling activities such as well logging, sidewall and whole core sampling, drill stem testing, reserves analysis and projections. * Basic questions about well completions including installation of surface wellhead and subsurface safety valve, well perforations, lateral and horizontal completions, hydraulic fracturing, (I prefer the spelling form "fracking" for the active verb and "frac" for the noun form) and wellbore swabbing. * Basic questions about so-called "flush production" (others call primary recovery) such as natural gas drive, water drive, compaction drive and gravity/dip drive. * Complex questions about artifical hydrocarbon lift technologies such as the sucker rod pumpjack, plunger lift pumps, gas lift pumps and electric subsersible pumps. * Basic questions about secondary and tertiary recovery techniques including water flooding, gas injection (be it CO2 or N), anaerobic recovery and so forth.

I have worked in this industry for many years and have at least some experience in all aspects of it. My specialty in recent years has been in upstream exploration and production. I have worked as a Consultant and general partner for a variety of projects in Texas, Illinois, Louisiana, Colorado. My experience is also built on my extensive writing in the oil and gas industry on a series of blogs and websites and my recently published book, Fundamentals of Investing in Oil and Gas.

Owner,, Owner,, Owner,

Self-published author of Fundamentals of Investing in Oil and Gas, (ISBN: 978-0-9890434-1-0 and Library of Congress Control Number: 2013906080) Contributing author on

Bachelor's of Science from Michigan State University with a variety of other coursework at other Universities including the University of South Florida and University of Wollongong.