Oil/Gas/Hydraulic Oils

Hi William, does the flash point of hydraulic oil change in the case of vapourisation? I know that Shell Tellus flash point is 218 deg C. I operate this fluid at 3000 p.s.i with a resevoir temp of circa 45 deg C. With an o-ring failure the oil would be escaping more like a vapour than a fluid and I am concerned about whether or not there is a significant change in the flash point.

Kind regards,

Hello Steve
regarding your Hydraulic fluid flash point question, No, the flash point would remain the same. However the "Flash Point" is determined under laboratory conditions, an atomized or vaporized spray leaking from a high pressure system is extremely prone to combustion, no matter what the flash point of that product is. A peak temperature found in a candle flame is 1400c, so no matter what, if the "Cloud" of material encounters a flame or spark, it will ignite.
If there is a problem, I recommend you use a "Fire Proof" fluid, such as our Shell Iris fluids.

Go to the above link to review this product. Hope this helps.

William Hawk Howes

Sorry, I don't do leases, property claims, legal issues, or royalty questions. Just those issues listed below. Regarding: Heavy Duty Lubricants(HDMO), Passenger Car Lubricants(PCMO), Hydraulics, Greases, Gear OIls. Applications, Substitution, Constituants, and general knowldge of the aforementioned products. Not well versed in the actual manufacture of petrochemical products, but can answer general questions. I have a vast network of information sources within the Petrochemical Industry (Not too much on fuels). If I don`t know the answer, I can usually find one rather quickly. Except Royalty, mineral rights, etc. Questions, Sorry.

30 years in the oil industry as an Industrial Lubrication Specialist. Worked with, Union Oil Co., 76 Products Co, Chevron, Texaco, Fina, and some Castrol. Experienced in application of various types of Antifreeze and Coolants.
Experienced in Marine and Aviation applications. Experienced in CNG propulsion in public transportation. Experienced in Synthetic Lubricants. Experienced in Petrochemical applications in severe situations such as, extreme temperature variancees, water contamination situations, sand, salt, heat, cold, and chemical contamination within applications of products. Signature Certified Industrial Lubrication Specialist with the Chevron/Texaco Compnay Currently I am a Petrochemical Consultant to DR-6 Incorporated. Supplier of petrochemical additives for Fuels.

2 Years medical school, Los Angeles Signature Certification training, Chevron refinery, Richmond Calif Plus over 25 years experience in the Petroleum Industry