You are here:

Oil/Gas/Mineral Rights - Ownership and idetification


I am currently in title on royalty rights. My known rights involve:
1. Snow Basin,1-23H, Section 23-14N-5E,Lincoln County,Ok.
2. Breckenridge 1-15H, Section 15-14N-5E,Lincoln County,Ok.

I have a brother and a half-brother who inherited an equal 1/3 share of my fathers ownership of royalty rights.

I am fairly certain that the land rights,other than royalty rights, had been sold to one of my uncle prior to my fathers death in 1954-1955. However,the royalty rights on that land were passed to his three sons (John T. Blaney Jr., Jere C. Blaney, Patrick L. Blany).

Can you advise me as to who/how I can verify existing, and/or 'additional' royalty rights,in this land. Neither, my full brother nor myself are clear about what we own. My half-brother is now dead, but had been an oil company executive much of his life. My father specifically told me not to trust him in these matters. Would you, or anyone you might suggest, be able to investigate exactly what we each own, or should own, if we each had equal ownership in the mineral rights.

Patrick LeRoy Blaney

 My Would you be

If you happen to live or can travel to Lincoln County, OK, all the records that affect these properties should be on file at the county clerk's office. You'd want to have the clerk show you the correct book to begin your search in and then you'd want to search the index for your dad's name and then pull any deeds pertaining to these properties and make a "chain" of title using those documents to determine where he got them and what he did with them at his death (if anything.)

If your dad's estate was probated in Lincoln County, then it should be on file with the court clerk of Lincoln County, if not the county clerk. Both offices are probably located in the county courthouse. The "Final Decree" might give you a clue as to what minerals you do, or should own. Likely if you have not been contacted to lease these mineral rights lately, then the oil companies doing the leasing do not believe you own any here (there is current leasing in at least one of the sections you mentioned.)

Other than doing it yourself you'd probably want to hire a "landman" to do the research for you. Perhaps the county clerk could recommend a good one. A landman will likely charge around $350-$500 per day to research how the minerals were transferred after your father's passing.

I did notice that several "Blaneys" have leased recently in at least section 23. Those would be Phillip, Willis, Jr., Sybil, and Dan Blaney. Not sure if they're related or not but did see their names as having leased their mineral rights to RK Pinson and Associates a couple of months ago.

Hope this helps you out.
Frederick M. "Mick" Scott CMM, RPL
The Mineral Hub  


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Frederick M. Scott


Oil and gas leasing, lease negotiations, how to best deal with the oil and gas companies or their representatives, buying/selling mineral rights, forced-pooling, correlative rights, deeds and conveyances, and "post-production" costs. I am most experienced with Oklahoma properties and laws, but am able to answer questions concerning other oil and gas producing states in many cases.


I am a Certified Professional Mineral Manager (CMM) certified by the National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO) in Tulsa, OK. I am also a Registered Professional Landman (RPL) with the American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL). I have managed my family's oil and gas properties in Oklahoma for over 10 years and have dealt with many landmen, title analysts, attorneys and other oil and gas professionals in the process. I have written several articles which have appeared in various oil and gas industry magazines and newsletters. I have negotiated and drafted leases, prepared deeds, affidavits, and other legal instruments relating to my own minerals, as well as performed title, legal research, and curative work for same. I have acquired a good deal of knowledge on the subjects of oil and gas law, mineral appraisal, and landwork over the past ten years, and also worked as a professional landman and lease buyer for a time. I've seen the business from "both sides" and therefore feel confident I can help out most of the folks who ask questions in this forum.

National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO); American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL)

National Association of Royalty Owners "Action Report" (ROAR); NADOA Magazine, The Mineral Hub, Landman Magazine, and several royalty owner association group's newsletters.

Certified Mineral Manager (CMM), Registered Professional Landman (RPL)

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]