Oil/Gas/Mineral Rights - Ownership and idetification

Question
I am currently in title on royalty rights. My known rights involve:
1. Snow Basin,1-23H, Section 23-14N-5E,Lincoln County,Ok.
2. Breckenridge 1-15H, Section 15-14N-5E,Lincoln County,Ok.

I have a brother and a half-brother who inherited an equal 1/3 share of my fathers ownership of royalty rights.

I am fairly certain that the land rights,other than royalty rights, had been sold to one of my uncle prior to my fathers death in 1954-1955. However,the royalty rights on that land were passed to his three sons (John T. Blaney Jr., Jere C. Blaney, Patrick L. Blany).

Can you advise me as to who/how I can verify existing, and/or 'additional' royalty rights,in this land. Neither, my full brother nor myself are clear about what we own. My half-brother is now dead, but had been an oil company executive much of his life. My father specifically told me not to trust him in these matters. Would you, or anyone you might suggest, be able to investigate exactly what we each own, or should own, if we each had equal ownership in the mineral rights.

Patrick LeRoy Blaney

My Would you be

Answer
If you happen to live or can travel to Lincoln County, OK, all the records that affect these properties should be on file at the county clerk's office. You'd want to have the clerk show you the correct book to begin your search in and then you'd want to search the index for your dad's name and then pull any deeds pertaining to these properties and make a "chain" of title using those documents to determine where he got them and what he did with them at his death (if anything.)

If your dad's estate was probated in Lincoln County, then it should be on file with the court clerk of Lincoln County, if not the county clerk. Both offices are probably located in the county courthouse. The "Final Decree" might give you a clue as to what minerals you do, or should own. Likely if you have not been contacted to lease these mineral rights lately, then the oil companies doing the leasing do not believe you own any here (there is current leasing in at least one of the sections you mentioned.)

Other than doing it yourself you'd probably want to hire a "landman" to do the research for you. Perhaps the county clerk could recommend a good one. A landman will likely charge around $350-$500 per day to research how the minerals were transferred after your father's passing.

I did notice that several "Blaneys" have leased recently in at least section 23. Those would be Phillip, Willis, Jr., Sybil, and Dan Blaney. Not sure if they're related or not but did see their names as having leased their mineral rights to RK Pinson and Associates a couple of months ago.

Hope this helps you out.
Frederick M. "Mick" Scott CMM, RPL
www.mineralhub.com
The Mineral Hub  

Oil/Gas

Frederick M. Scott