Oil/Gas/Obtaining mineral rights leases

Thanks to your previous answers (April 13) I was able to locate the address of oil lease property,view it, and find most of the current owners.

You added that there has never been a well drilled on this property in Wheeler County Texas.  I do know the rights were leased a number of times.   The leases themselves were a (limited) source of income.

As owners is there something to do besides waiting to (perhaps) be invited to lease?

Usually there is very little you can do to attract attention to a particular area because the oil and gas companies generate their drilling prospect through pretty specific directions, generally speaking:

1.  A geologist or an engineer has an idea, sees a journal, or begins to investigate a particular formation.
2.  They will then identify areas where the "signature" marks for that producing zone (Eagle Ford Shale, Mississippi or other formation)
3.  Communicate to the land department where they suspect the formation will be producing or productive.

The land department then will identify the owners within a geographic circle as ID'd by the science departments.  After identifying the land department will begin to lease available tracts.

By reviewing this rudimentary formula you can see that it is impossible for us to manufacture interest in an area if the interest is not organic.  But, there is hope - you can do a couple things that will assist.

1. You can research and identify operators that have wells in the area and call them.  You can go to the Texas Railroad Commission GIS site locate your propert on the map then find wells nearby that are in production.  Get their contact information from the website or conduct a general search for the company name.
2.  Provide them very favorable terms to offer to lease your minerals and drill a well.

By contacting the closest you know that they have knowledge and interest in the area and that they are most likely to have an interest in your minerals.

Hope this helps some.

Cliff Williams

I will try to answer any question you have. Even if I reject a question, I still will give a shot at what I would do in your position. The only questions I will not take a shot at would be a highly technical engineering or geological question. I am beginning to see quite a few questions from land men and other oil companies and that doesn't matter to me either. I will attempt to help.

I am an oil and gas attorney that has been in the business for more than 20 years. I have held a series 22 and 63 securities license, been in oil and gas operations, land man, division order analyst all prior to obtaining my law degree. Today, I typically write title opinions verifying ownership of oil and gas minerals, assist landowners in negotiations on oil, gas and mineral leases, easements and conveyances. I also assist oil and gas companies with the sale of working interest ownership as well as common business law issues.

State Bar of Texas, Member of the Tarrant County Bar and the Dallas County Bar Associations.

Multiple oil and gas topical columns on

I have a B.S. degree which I rely upon more than my Business Mgmt degree or Law degree...

Husband and father of 26 years