Oil/Gas/Unit spacing

Dear Mr. Williams Is there a database or on-line web site that will show unit spacing of an oil well in Williston ND? I have been mislead by my lease that said gross acres was 240 and when they calculate my RI they used unit spacing. Makes a big difference in our royalties.

I do not know of a database online of the spacing units for particular areas/fields.  You may consider that the Oil and Gas Commission in North Dakota could modify the default acreage from the field rules so it would be best to call the commission and discuss your questions directly with someone there.

Your lease stating 240 was not meant to tell you the size of the pool.  In every case I've seen your lease stating 240 gross acres is simply a description of "where" your lease is located for recording purposes.  The lease states the sizes of the unit much further down and usually indicates the pooling size where it gives them the right to pool.  

The gross acres simply indicates where your undivided mineral interest can be found on a map.

Hope this helps some.  

Cliff Williams

I will try to answer any question you have. Even if I reject a question, I still will give a shot at what I would do in your position. The only questions I will not take a shot at would be a highly technical engineering or geological question. I am beginning to see quite a few questions from land men and other oil companies and that doesn't matter to me either. I will attempt to help.

I am an oil and gas attorney that has been in the business for more than 20 years. I have held a series 22 and 63 securities license, been in oil and gas operations, land man, division order analyst all prior to obtaining my law degree. Today, I typically write title opinions verifying ownership of oil and gas minerals, assist landowners in negotiations on oil, gas and mineral leases, easements and conveyances. I also assist oil and gas companies with the sale of working interest ownership as well as common business law issues.

State Bar of Texas, Member of the Tarrant County Bar and the Dallas County Bar Associations.

Multiple oil and gas topical columns on

I have a B.S. degree which I rely upon more than my Business Mgmt degree or Law degree...

Husband and father of 26 years