Oil/Gas/Canada's New West-East Pipeline

Question
I have been watching with interest the announcement by TransCanada pipelines that it is moving forward with an West-East pipeline in Canada to complement the Keystone XL Project that it's trying to get underway through the US.  I live on the East Coast of Canada, where the refinery is that the oil will be shipped to.  They will also be setting up a new export terminal for transporting oil to Europe and other markets.

My question is this: What long-term jobs does a pipeline, increased refining and an export terminal usually create in the economy and what are the economic benefits likely to be for my end of the country?  I'm trying to determine the economics of the whole thing, and whether there might be some interesting job opportunities coming... but I need someone in the industry who understands this to provide the answer.

Answer
Oil pipeline and economics
Oil pipeline and econo  
Matthew,

Your answer is semi complex.  I expect that you will see a lot of jobs pertaining to construction in the developing areas. Jobs like welding, cement work, electrical and all the engineers, management, and permits that are associated with it all.  I also expect this to be a slight upturn to the economic of the area but nothing compared to what will follow.

Once the infrastructure is in place you should see a lot more specialized jobs such as chemical-petroleum engineers and dock workers, captains, and many other office personal to name just a few.

but the real money maker will be in taxes.  Oil and Gas are the biggest tax paying identities in the world.  This will most likely spin off into much larger developments within cities in populated areas. These means that construction jobs may continue as additional country infrastructure such as new buildings, roads, etc. is spent and maintained in the years to come.

Local and country petroleum based products such as gasoline could become much cheaper to the citizens.  A perfect example would be the cost of gasoline in the middle east.  Out there it is pennies on the dollar and is used some what like a bribe for increasing oil and natural gas development along with creating positive public relations.  If this is done in Canada, then one might see a potential economic boom in the cost of goods such as food and transportation along with a possible decrease in inflation.  

Lastly, your pubic figures such as politicians will most likely be paid quite well on the whole ordeal as permits, surveys and other grants of access are often need to be signed off on from someone and these signatures often are not only necessary but expensive. also these public figures will need a statue or monument made in their name in some point in there career or life/after life.  that often creates much needed jobs.

These are just some of the long term things that one might see happen in Canada's near future.

Chris

Oil/Gas

Chris Termeer