Oil/Gas/Fair Price for Mineral Rights

I own property in Campbell County, WY, some of which has been leased to a couple of different companies for CBM. Out of the blue I have received an offer to sell my mineral rights for $750 per mineral acre. How do I know if this is a fair offer? I don't live anywhere near Wyoming.

Well, actually there's no way to know if it's a fair offer without having some knowledge of the area yourself. Therefore, and assuming you even want to sell them, the best thing for you to do would be to let me market them for you on my website, The Mineral Hub. I certainly don't want to "talk you into" selling if you're not ready, but if you are I really feel (even though it's my website) that this is the best way to get them in front of a lot of buyers, which will in turn give you a more accurate picture of what they're worth. One buyer's unsolicited offer does not a market make in other words, and I don't see how anyone who sends you an unsolicited offer in the mail can be very objective as to what they're worth since they're trying to get them for as little as possible. I, on the other hand, work with my sellers and will help value their minerals for them if they ask, and can be objective since I'm not generally a buyer myself.

If you want to market them on your own you can do that too of course. You could put an ad in the local paper in the county where the minerals are located, or contact a local bank in the area who has mineral owner clients (usually a bank with a "Trust" dept.) and therefore might have some idea of what local mineral rights are going for. There are also plenty of mineral buyers available online, but again, I doubt they will be very helpful or objective in determining a value since their goal as a buyer it so buy them for as little as they can.

Hope this helps you out.
Frederick M. "Mick" Scott CMM RPL
The Mineral Hub  

Frederick M. Scott

Oil and gas leasing, lease negotiations, how to best deal with the oil and gas companies or their representatives, buying/selling mineral rights, forced-pooling, correlative rights, deeds and conveyances, and "post-production" costs. I am most experienced with Oklahoma properties and laws, but am able to answer questions concerning other oil and gas producing states in many cases.

I am a Certified Professional Mineral Manager (CMM) certified by the National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO) in Tulsa, OK. I am also a Registered Professional Landman (RPL) with the American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL). I have managed my family's oil and gas properties in Oklahoma for over 10 years and have dealt with many landmen, title analysts, attorneys and other oil and gas professionals in the process. I have written several articles which have appeared in various oil and gas industry magazines and newsletters. I have negotiated and drafted leases, prepared deeds, affidavits, and other legal instruments relating to my own minerals, as well as performed title, legal research, and curative work for same. I have acquired a good deal of knowledge on the subjects of oil and gas law, mineral appraisal, and landwork over the past ten years, and also worked as a professional landman and lease buyer for a time. I've seen the business from "both sides" and therefore feel confident I can help out most of the folks who ask questions in this forum.

National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO); American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL)

National Association of Royalty Owners "Action Report" (ROAR); NADOA Magazine, The Mineral Hub, Landman Magazine, and several royalty owner association group's newsletters.

Certified Mineral Manager (CMM), Registered Professional Landman (RPL)