Oil/Gas/Mineral rights

Question
I own 8 mineral acres 6-11N-24W and 1/5th production in roger Mills county. Currently are leased but will expire 2/2/14. They were leased originally for 2200. an acre. I have not seen any drilling permits filed,not sure of activity close by. is it very common for leasers to file extensions?  I would like to wait till the lease expires to see what they are going to do, but an investment opportunity has came up and considering selling. could you give me an idea of what the price range of mineral acres are in that township and range? would I be hurting myself allot by selling before lease is up? any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Answer
No permits in your section or the surrounding ones currently, though there is activity in the general area (especially to the north.)

Your lessee will likely renew your lease only if they plan to drill a well within the next primary term, though it's possible a different company might want to lease you as well once you current lease expires. I don't see any evidence that is happening either however, as the most recent leases taken in your section were filed back in 2011. You can of course sell them whether they are leased or not.

As for value, the range in Roger Mills (or any) county will vary greatly depending on how active your immediate area is. If you do decide to sell these you really might want to consider posting them for sale on the Mineral Hub rather than dealing with someone who sends you an unsolicited offer in the mail out of the blue. This is my website's (free) listing service, and you'll get exposure to MANY buyers that way, rather than just one or two. I will also work with you to value them accurately once I have your listing if you're not sure what price range to expect.

To answer your question though, I don't think you'd be "hurting" yourself by selling, as long as the price was a good one and you were selling for the right reasons. If you're not in a hurry and can wait another ten years then keeping them might actually be the better choice, because even if no well is drilled you might be able to lease them several more times in that period. I say "might" because it's ALWAYS going to be a gamble (for both buyer AND seller) as to what's going to happen in the future. If I could predict the future with accuracy I'd be driving a lot nicer car ha ha! It really depends on what your current financial goals are as to whether you should sell or not.

Hope this helps you out.
Frederick M. "Mick" Scott CMM RPL
www.mineralhub.com
The Mineral Hub  

Oil/Gas

Frederick M. Scott