Oil/Gas/Are my minerals leased?

Question
I own mineral rights in section 23 and section 24 Pittsburgh Co., OK For the past 9 yrs. Chesapeake Production has had it under lease. It was due for another lease in 2012 which they didn't renew. Recently, it has come to my attention that the records in the courthouse show it is leased. What steps should I take to change that,  could that stop another company from leasing and isn't that the responsibility of Chesapeake to either pay for a lease or remove that information?

Answer
You could file a "notice" of record in the courthouse stating why you think it is NOT leased currently, notwithstanding there are records showing it is leased apparently. What specific records show it is leased currently? If they drilled a producing well on the land before the primary term in your previous lease expired, then that lease would continue for as long as there is production from the leased premises. If no producing well were commenced during that primary term then the lease would have expired at the end of such term and unless you signed another lease with someone else should not be showing "leased" now.

Hope this helps you out.
Frederick M. "Mick" Scott CMM RPL
www.mineralhub.com
The Mineral Hub  

Oil/Gas

Frederick M. Scott