Oil/Gas/Amite County, MS

Dear Mr. Scott,
As a Trustee I have become aware of 563 acres in the following areas:
Amite, Co. MS. Sec 18-19-21-35 T2N R2E and S.22 T2N R3E.  It appears that there is another 688 acres located in S. 28-29-30-31 T1N R2E.

I am being offered$2300p/n/m/a to sell. Is that a good and fair price? I know the land was leased first to Audubon and I have found copies of 2 bank drafts for a total of $11,000. Recently I have found 3 bank deposits from Encana for $7800.I do not have an intermediary working for me. Do I need one? I know it is a "hot area."

Another question is does the Trust own all or fractions of the property. Where to find out?

The responsibility of being a trustee is considerable, and I am being pushed to make a decision as to whether to hold or sell. Is this a case that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush? What are the advantages and disadvantages of keeping the property vs. selling the properties?

Does owning a % or all make a difference in whether to sell or hold?

Many thanks. I eagerly await your response. S.

I don't know if that's a good offer or not, but the fact that the offer you received came unsolicited would put me on notice that something is going on there that buyers are interested in. Because the offer came unsolicited, I'd shop them around before accepting that offer if you are in fact looking to sell. The Mineral Hub  is a good place to list them for sale as they will be seen by many buyers there. Perhaps someone else would offer more than $2300.

I'm not saying this is the case with your current offer, but do be aware that some "mineral buyers" out there are really just brokers posing as buyers, and their only goal is to surreptitiously "tie up" your mineral rights while they try desperately to find a buyer for them, and put their own hand in the pot at the same time so they can make money.

I have no problem with brokers who are honest about what they're doing, but it's unfortunate that some of the less scrupulous ones pose as companies that buy minerals, and if they can't find a buyer then they'll call you back and only THEN admit that they were really not a buyer themselves, or that their "financing" fell though etc., this, after making you sign a sales agreement with them that tied up your minerals. Be cautious of companies claiming to be principal buyers. They are not always what they claim. I would (and do, now) ask companies who "purchase minerals" whether they are in fact THE purchaser.

To find out exactly what the trust owns, you'd need to check the title records in the county clerk's office where the minerals are located, and trace the title back to where the trust acquired them (or hire a landman to search for you.)

To discover whether or not selling is right for you, you might want to read some of the FAQ pages on the Mineral Hub. There you will be able to find information on why people decide to sell, or not sell.

Hope this helps you out.
Frederick M. "Mick" Scott CMM, RPL
The Mineral Hub

Frederick M. Scott

Oil and gas leasing, lease negotiations, how to best deal with the oil and gas companies or their representatives, buying/selling mineral rights, forced-pooling, correlative rights, deeds and conveyances, and "post-production" costs. I am most experienced with Oklahoma properties and laws, but am able to answer questions concerning other oil and gas producing states in many cases.

I am a Certified Professional Mineral Manager (CMM) certified by the National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO) in Tulsa, OK. I am also a Registered Professional Landman (RPL) with the American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL). I have managed my family's oil and gas properties in Oklahoma for over 10 years and have dealt with many landmen, title analysts, attorneys and other oil and gas professionals in the process. I have written several articles which have appeared in various oil and gas industry magazines and newsletters. I have negotiated and drafted leases, prepared deeds, affidavits, and other legal instruments relating to my own minerals, as well as performed title, legal research, and curative work for same. I have acquired a good deal of knowledge on the subjects of oil and gas law, mineral appraisal, and landwork over the past ten years, and also worked as a professional landman and lease buyer for a time. I've seen the business from "both sides" and therefore feel confident I can help out most of the folks who ask questions in this forum.

National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO); American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL)

National Association of Royalty Owners "Action Report" (ROAR); NADOA Magazine, The Mineral Hub, Landman Magazine, and several royalty owner association group's newsletters.

Certified Mineral Manager (CMM), Registered Professional Landman (RPL)