Oil/Gas/Dewey County 19 & 20, 17N - 15W

Question
Have mineral leases in this Cana-Woodford area held value despite the flight to SCOOP, and the realization of how deep the wells are?  My lease with QEP opens soon and I'd like to renew the $1,000 & 1/4 terms.  Any thoughts?  It looks to me like reasonably productive wells completely surround that area now.

Answer
$1000/acre and 1/4 royalty? Unlikely I'd say. In fact I think you'll be lucky to find anyone interested at half that price, and forget about 1/4 royalty unless you're willing to take no bonus. There's just not much going on in this section currently. I've seen no leases filed since 2011.

The wells that have been completed in adjacent sections over the past few years have not been what I'd call great, but a few of them are decent.

If you're not in a hurry I'd just hang on a few years until someone offers you a decent lease if they haven't already. If you have an offer from QEP to renew at $1000 and 1/4 I'd certainly jump on it though!

If you want to visit the county clerk's office in Dewey County you could do a search for leasing in the immediate area, but right now I don't think any have been filed as of late.

The Oklahoma Corporation Commission is the oil and gas regulatory body for the state of Oklahoma, and on their website you can find a wealth of information about what's going on in the area where your mineral rights are located. You can search for production, completion reports, pooling orders and applications, and other things that the Commission regulates. You can search their oil and gas database from THIS page.

Hope this helps you out.
Frederick M. "Mick" Scott CMM, RPL
Manager
http://www.mineralhub.com

Oil/Gas

Frederick M. Scott