Oil/Gas/Inclusion of all Rightful Heirs in Land Lease Payment

The Honor Resources Company contacted my brother and I, on behalf of Chesapeake Appalachia, regarding a tract of land in Preston County, West Virginia that was owned by our grandfather, passed to our father, who is dead, and we are now rightful heirs.  Our father's brother's children (our cousins)were also contacted and they received a payout from Chesapeake on the land lease, without our knowledge.  My brother and I never received any paperwork, payout or any other subsequent communication from Honor Resources or Chesapeake.  We are entitled to a pro rata portion of the land lease payout, and have written the CEO of Chesapeake Appalachia, as well as Honor Resources. Of course, they are being non-responsive.

My question is two-fold:  (1) What is the liability of Honor Resources and Chesapeake, who contacted us and subsequently left us out of the land lease payout?  (2) What are the next best steps to take to recover the monies due to us?

I sincerely appreciate any information or suggestions which would point us to a proper course of action.

Kind regards,

Honor Resources Company is the land brokerage firm hired by Chesapeake to get leases in the lands they wanted to drill on, or wanted to build an access road across or run a pipeline through.  You don't indicate how much time elapsed between when you were contacted by Honor and when your cousins told you they had been paid something by Chesapeake.  Therefore, I don't know if Honor would still be engaged in leasing in your area on behalf of Chesapeake.

Chesapeake Appalachia, L.L.C. was formerly known as Columbia Natural Resources, LLC, until it was acquired though merger in 2005 by Chesapeake Energy Corporation in Oklahoma City.  

Now to answer your two questions directly: (1) Honor has no liability. Chesapeake would have all of the liability because Honor was only a contractor working for Chesapeake. And, if you are entitled to payment, Chesapeake still owes you and must pay you even if it is later than they paid your cousins.  Then (2) if you will email me directly at marshab at oilpatchpress dot com I can give you the name and phone number of a colleague, one of the division order analysts who works at Chesapeake who can help you track down why you have not received a lease to sign or any payment, so you can get this resolved without a lawyer.  First she will need to know if Honor was talking to you about a surface lease of some kind, or an oil and gas lease.  Try to find whatever paperwork or contact information Honor may have left with you when they contacted you.

Marsha Breazeale, M.Ed., CDOA, CPLTA

All questions regarding division orders; ownership decimal calculations; title ownership and payer record changes (testate/intestate inheritance; deed; assignment; court order); oil and gas lease analysis for record-keeping and purposes of payment by operator or payer; pooling, horizontal wells, horizontal well allocation units; unclaimed property reporting; royalty owner relations questions. All questions concerning administration of surface land contracts and payment questions, such as for Surface Right-of-Way, Sub-Surface Right-of-Way, Easement, Surface Use Agreement. All questions regarding industry-standard and company-specific policies that affect land owners.

Sr. Staff Division Order Analyst. Certified Division Order Analyst (CDOA, National Association of Division Order Analysts) and Certified Lease Analyst (CPLTA, National Association of Professional Lease and Title Analysts) with 35 years of experience as a combination division order analyst and lease analyst in exploration and production in the oil and gas industry.

National Assoc. of Division Order Analysts (NADOA), National Association of Division Order Analysts (NALTA), American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL), American Society of Trainers and Developers (ASTD)

"How an Oil & Gas Exploration & Production Company Operates" and "Principles of Oil & Gas Lease Analysis: Standard Clauses", Oil Patch Press; Articles in NADOA Magazine; LandFocus EDU Professional Training Manuals

Education/Credentials Management from Our Lady of the Lake University in San Antonio; M.Ed. in Instructional Design from WGU Texas.

Past 15 years: GeoSouthern Energy Corporation; Contango Oil Co./Crimson Exploration & Operating Inc.; Apache Corporation; BP America; Marathon Oil; Newfield Exploration