Oil/Gas/royalties

Question
My mother has inherited mineral rights from her father. Recently she received a letter from Dewey county court about a class action lawsuit with Samson Resources that involves her inherited mineral rights. My question is how we go about finding the legal description of these minerals? I do not believe the minerals are in Dewey County but some were in Oklahoma. Any help would be much appreciated.

Answer
Jennifer,
You should be able to contact the Clerk's office in Dewey County, OK, at  (580) 328-5361
and ask them if you can obtain a copy of the proceedings which provide a description of the mineral interests being disputed. Be prepared to furnish them with the Civil Suit Docket Number so they can retrieve the information for you.  You will have to pay for these copies and I am unsure whether they will take a credit card for the charges or whether you will have to mail them a certified check first.

Another option is to contact Samson Resources, at:

Samson Resources
Samson Plaza
Two West Second Street
Tulsa, OK U.S.A. 74103-3103

Telephone:  918.591.1791
Fax:  918.591.1796

and ask if they can provide you with a description of the property for which the dispute involves.

I hope the information I have provided will assist you in locating the mineral rights which were inherited by your mother.

Best of luck.  

Oil/Gas

Laura M. FitzGerald, CPL