Oil/Gas/3-D geophysical survey

I have received a request to do a 3-D geophysical survey on land I own around Stroud, Oklahoma.  It does not specify a time limit and is offering $10 per acre.  My concern is regarding how the land could be damaged by this survey?  Also, I would like to visit with anyone in the area who has had this done and see their opinion. Also, what is the going rate paid in this area and how much time do they need to do the survey?  Can you help?

Thanks in advance for your quick response.  

Sherry Ellis

I doubt the land will be damaged, but the noise may be bothersome. I would ask the for a date range and have them include it in the agreement. $10/acre is probably a standard rate, though in some cases they don't offer to pay anything so at least they offered you something. They can do a seismic survey usually without the landowner's permission because the mineral rights are considered the "dominant" estate and the seismic is related to the mineral estate. You could of course fight them in court but if even one mineral owner under the tract(s) they are after agrees to let them do seismic then it's pretty tough to (legally) stop them from finishing.

Hope this helps you out!
Frederick M. "Mick" Scott CMM, RPL
The Mineral Hub

Frederick M. Scott

Oil and gas leasing, lease negotiations, how to best deal with the oil and gas companies or their representatives, buying/selling mineral rights, forced-pooling, correlative rights, deeds and conveyances, and "post-production" costs. I am most experienced with Oklahoma properties and laws, but am able to answer questions concerning other oil and gas producing states in many cases.

I am a Certified Professional Mineral Manager (CMM) certified by the National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO) in Tulsa, OK. I am also a Registered Professional Landman (RPL) with the American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL). I have managed my family's oil and gas properties in Oklahoma for over 10 years and have dealt with many landmen, title analysts, attorneys and other oil and gas professionals in the process. I have written several articles which have appeared in various oil and gas industry magazines and newsletters. I have negotiated and drafted leases, prepared deeds, affidavits, and other legal instruments relating to my own minerals, as well as performed title, legal research, and curative work for same. I have acquired a good deal of knowledge on the subjects of oil and gas law, mineral appraisal, and landwork over the past ten years, and also worked as a professional landman and lease buyer for a time. I've seen the business from "both sides" and therefore feel confident I can help out most of the folks who ask questions in this forum.

National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO); American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL)

National Association of Royalty Owners "Action Report" (ROAR); NADOA Magazine, The Mineral Hub, Landman Magazine, and several royalty owner association group's newsletters.

Certified Mineral Manager (CMM), Registered Professional Landman (RPL)