Oil/Gas/basis calc for W/I capital gain upon sale

Question
Laura, Thank you for taking the time to answer this.  I have a WI position (very small %) in 17 oil/gas wells in Oklahoma (mostly Kingfisher County) some dating back to the early 1980's and 9 were drilled since 2008.  I have ZERO information about any early wells original investment and write-offs but I have all data on the 9 recent ones.  I receive a monthly net revenue check for many years from $700 to $900 per month.

I just received a check for $110,000 with details on the cash received breakout of each individual well.  The entire company was
sold for $60,000,000 about one month ago. THis is a family held business started about 50 years ago and 2 key men just died.

7 of the early wells had "acreage" value as well - while none of the recent wells do.  This "acreage" value amounts to over $50,000.  I did not even know about this.  As we never used an oil/gas CPA, I have done the best I can with taxes each year with a simple process.  I deduct 15% depletion from net cash revenue on sales and take the intangibles for drilling in the year drilled.  I deduct the tangibles over 7 years.  I receive a 1099 misc for the income, make those subtractions on schedule C and add or subtract on the front side of the 1040 for income from self-employment.   

How do I calculate the basis in each well for long term capital gain on schedule D?  I believe I recapture all the intangibles expensed off.  What happens to all the operating expenses each month?  How do I know the original value of the "acreage".  

Is the original basis in each well anything other than what I paid to participate in the well when drilled?   What adjustments are made to that?  I refuse to believe the entire check of $110,000 is all long term gain with zero basis in all wells.

The "acreage" value was never accounted for in any way at tax time each year because I did not even know about it.  I want to assume the basis on the acreage is the current value.  

I think you will refer me to consult with an oil/gas CPA firm as this matter is very complicated I'm sure. I will muddle through myself somehow as IO will never have all the information necessary back 35 years and on each subsequent tax return.  

Thank you.

Answer
Sandra,
While I feel quite competent in answering oil and gas questions in many areas, one area that I have to rely on my oil and gas CPA in, are WI ownership questions such as yours that you have asked me.

What I can suggest, however, is that you do go back and ask for the 'source document', the document that created the interest that you currently own.  This is the only way I believe you can understand what your ownership covers is to understand the situation that created the interest.

Other than this, yes, you are correct in that I would highly recommend you seek an oil and gas accounting firm who can help you work through the many questions you have, and rightfully so.

I will tell you though, that the steps you have taken which you have undertaken 'to the best of your ability' sound correct and you have done a good job, so congratulations thus far!

I wish I could offer you more help in this area - please continue to seek advice on this.

Best of luck.  

Oil/Gas

Laura M. FitzGerald, CPL