Oil/Gas/Two parties claiming same mineral rights.

Question
hello
Recently my father in law was contacted by devon for leaseing mineral rights. what he got after they did a title check/title opinion is very confusing. First he has to get with the previous owners to settle on a percentage as they have a stake in it. but upon getting paperwork back from devon, it states that not only do the county records show he owns all the rights in book lets say 2057, but in another book 2063 it states previous owners own them all. he has been threatened to be sued by other party. devon has refused to send royalties until both parties agree on entitlement. what can be done? I have documents if that will help. we just don't know where to go or who to talk to. please help. thanks
V/R Rick

Answer
Devon should be able to determine who "really" owns them, since probably one of the parties FIRST acquired them. If that's the case, then the second party's claim to them would be invalid. Devon however, is probably worried that two parties claiming the same minerals creates a "cloud" (confusion) on your father's title, so apparently would like both parties to agree (in a stipulation that can be filed of record) which one actually owns it.

Their landman should have, while checking the title, figured out who first acquired the rights, and then made a note that the other party's claim to the same property was invalid. They may have actually done that, but still want it "cleared up" between the parties themselves (and filed of record) so that there is no longer any doubt. You could easily enough have an attorney or landman check the title and determine what needs to be done. I would suggest finding one in the county where the minerals are located as that would be cheaper probably.

Hope this helps you out!
Frederick M. "Mick" Scott CMM, RPL
The Mineral Hub
www.mineralhub.com

Oil/Gas

Frederick M. Scott