Oil/Gas/Vertical Drilling

Question
Hi, many thanks indeed for taking the question.

My question relates to purely vertical drilling please.  

If a company is drilling on their acreage (with 100% working interests) and where there's definitely oil, is it possible for another company to tap into/extract from that basin/vein even though they're drilling say 2 acres away?

Grateful thanks,

Michael

Answer
This question has been presented, discussed and debated in many courtrooms over the decades.  The answer is, probably so, but we're not sure!  It is very difficult (and expensive) to prove where oil is coming from under the ground. If the permeability of the reservoir is high enough then this could be possible.  Also, a petrophysicist or geologist could probably evaluate the rock and reservoir properties and give you a more definitive answer.  If hydraulic fracturing is involved then the likelihood would be increased.

Oil/Gas

David Traugott