Oil/Gas/Affidavit of Heirship

Question
Hello. My question is this.

After my father died, leaving myself and my siblings his oil and gas royalties, we had my mother-in-law do an Affidavit of Heirship. She is now deceased. Is that Affidavit still legally valid?

Thanks.

Answer
This is a legal question best answered by an attorney. But for the purposes of an oil company changing its revenue distribution records, most oil and gas companies will consider it to be legally valid and will honor it if it is notarized and was already filed of record into the county real property records where the land is located, before your mother-in-law passed away.  If you happen to be working with an oil and gas company that disputes its legal validity for their purposes, you will need to consult an attorney to learn what you should do next.  Good luck, and Happy Holidays.

Oil/Gas

Marsha Breazeale, M.Ed., CDOA, CPLTA