Oil/Gas/Calculating decimal interest

Question
I received Division Orders recently with my decimal interest for a 2560 acre spacing unit.  Within the unit I have 198.18 net acres in two of the four sections with royalties of 20%.  In the other two sections I have 278.71 acres with royalties of 18.75%.  How do I calculate my decimal interest?

Thank you.

Answer
Using the information you provided, your decimal of interest in the revenues from production from the unit would be calculated:

(0.20 x 198.18/2560) plus (0.1875 x 278.71/2560)
equals
(0.20 x 0.07741406) plus (0.1875 x 0.10887109)
equals
0.01548281 plus 0.02041333 or 0.03589614 of all production from the unit.

To interpret the income value of an 8-digit revenue decimal, move the decimal from its current position over to 2 digits from the end: 0.03589614 becomes 0035896.14.  Then take off the lead zeros, add a dollar sign, and any commas to convert it to currency: $35,896.14 for every $1 million in sales from the unit.

Oil/Gas

Marsha Breazeale, M.Ed., CDOA, CPLTA