You are here:

Oil/Gas/mineral rights inherited


my mom used to get a check for rights from wyoming.
she has passed on and i have the paperwork still with check copies.
want to know if rights ever run out and if not can i find if there
is activity on my mineral rights property

As a starting point, you can contact the state agency that oversees oil and gas production and/or the state tax commission and ask them when that lease last had production. If there is recent production, contact the operator and have them update their records and pay you the back royalties. Also, you may want to check the state unclaimed property fund to see if royalties were paid on behalf of your mother.  


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Mark Bonner


Interests include oil and gas leases, mineral deeds, royalty payments, interest on late royalty payments, post-production costs.


I have been an attorney for over 20 years.

Norman & Edem, PLLC 127 N.W. 10th St. Oklahoma City, OK 73103 405-272-0200 (Tel.)

Oklahoma Bar Journal; Oklahoma Association for Justice Advocate

Highest Honors, OU College of Law, 1992 Earl Sneed Award for Oil & Gas

©2017 All rights reserved.