Oil/Gas/What to expect after spudding

Chris thanks your advise on my previous question regarding property location. I just received news that the company is spuding in 2 weeks. What exactly is spuding and what can I expect by way of a chain of events from the leasing company?

Good to hear that things are starting to happen for you.
Spuding is referred to as starting the well. I believe you told me before that this is EOG, and I think that in that area they are doing a deep horizontal wells. In larger projects such as a deep horizontal well, companies may use a smaller rig called a spuding rig to start the process. I wouldn't be surprised if they are using a spuding rig to start off the well and then bring the bigger rig that is able of going horizontal in a few weeks/months.

Since I have not seen your agreements between you and the o/g company or any other documents, it is too difficult for me to tell you when the well could be completed.  Depending on how the contracts are written, the o/g company could use the spuding rig to execute a clause in your contract to extend the lease so it does not expire. I am not trying to suggest that they are doing something wrong but I just want you to be aware that it could be sometime before the bigger rig gets on location to finish the well. Smaller rigs can typically drill the  first phase of a well much faster then the larger rigs as they do not go capable of reaching the desired depths as opposed to the larger rigs because of this Bigger rigs often have what is called a "waiting list" and could be backed up for sometime.

I would suggest that you look into purchasing my book "Fundamentals of investing in oil and gas"
it is for sale on The pictures in the physical book are a little better as the kindle book versions as electronic books are restricted to a smaller files size.
I believe they sell my book for $20-25 on Barns and Noble also carry it as well but I believe you would have to place a special order with them.

The book has over 250 images and is very operational driven. It should be able to guide you through the entire process that you are experiencing or about the experience.

Hope your well turns out great.
Chris Termeer

Chris Termeer

I can answer a broad variety of questions about oil and gas in the upstream, midstream, and downstream sectors of the industry. Topics of knowledge include but are not limited to: * History of the industry * Basic questions about formation of hydrocarbons (hydrocarbon window, geologic processes that create oil and gas formations) * Types of formation structures, source rocks, and traps * Surrounding production analysis (how to, importance of etc) * Basic questions about magnetic surveys, geometric surveys, seismic surveys (2D and 3D) and radiometric surveys. (Including relative strengths and weaknesses and how performed.) * Basic questions of cable tool drilling * Complex questions about rotary drilling, its components, operations, how to set up a rig. Drilling operations including fluid/mud, cuttings analysis, downhole testing, directional drilling, making and tripping pipe, cementing casing (importance of and how performed etc), common drilling mistakes and problems. * Complex questions about post- (though sometimes occurs during) drilling activities such as well logging, sidewall and whole core sampling, drill stem testing, reserves analysis and projections. * Basic questions about well completions including installation of surface wellhead and subsurface safety valve, well perforations, lateral and horizontal completions, hydraulic fracturing, (I prefer the spelling form "fracking" for the active verb and "frac" for the noun form) and wellbore swabbing. * Basic questions about so-called "flush production" (others call primary recovery) such as natural gas drive, water drive, compaction drive and gravity/dip drive. * Complex questions about artifical hydrocarbon lift technologies such as the sucker rod pumpjack, plunger lift pumps, gas lift pumps and electric subsersible pumps. * Basic questions about secondary and tertiary recovery techniques including water flooding, gas injection (be it CO2 or N), anaerobic recovery and so forth.

I have worked in this industry for many years and have at least some experience in all aspects of it. My specialty in recent years has been in upstream exploration and production. I have worked as a Consultant and general partner for a variety of projects in Texas, Illinois, Louisiana, Colorado. My experience is also built on my extensive writing in the oil and gas industry on a series of blogs and websites and my recently published book, Fundamentals of Investing in Oil and Gas.

Owner,, Owner,, Owner,

Self-published author of Fundamentals of Investing in Oil and Gas, (ISBN: 978-0-9890434-1-0 and Library of Congress Control Number: 2013906080) Contributing author on

Bachelor's of Science from Michigan State University with a variety of other coursework at other Universities including the University of South Florida and University of Wollongong.