Oil/Gas/fair oil lease price

Question
We live in Midvale Idaho 83645. Oil has never been produced in this area. We are being offered $4 per acre for a 5 year lease. Does this sound fair

Answer
Your negotiating power depends on a few things including the size of your land, the proximity of existing production and the results of any seismic activity in your area.  Also, depending on how "hot" an area is the price can vary greatly.  Do not rush into anything until you have done your research.  I would solicit bids from a couple of more companies and see what they offer.  Also, you can go to the website below and find the nearest production to your land.  Finally, if other people in your area have recently signed leases you can ask them what they were offered.  Good luck!

http://www.idl.idaho.gov/bureau/Minerals/min_leasing/iogcc.html

Oil/Gas

David Traugott