You are here:

Oil/Gas/Lost mineral rights


Due to oil and gas people continuously calling me,I believe my grandfather may have purchased some mineral rights in Grady county Oklahoma decades ago, Myself and my sons are the only living decendants left and we still own the same company my grandfather started some 88 years ago, Midwest Oil Corporation. I have no idea who to contact or where to start in obtaining the deed which has long been lost or obtain the legal ability to sell this lease to someone who can use it. Thanks Robert

The best place to start is in the Deed Records at the courthouse in Grady County, Oklahoma.  You will be running "simple" title by starting with your grandfather's name, but also starting with the name "Midwest Oil Corporation".

You want to start with the Reverse Index.  This is index where you will look for your grandfather's name as the "grantee" of any deed that he bought in his name individually, and his name in any probate action conducted in Grady County in which he was a devisee (heir). You simply want to locate any documents where your grandfather's name is on the receiving end of the document.  Then you will also look in this index for the name "Midwest Oil Corporation" to see if there is any deed in the records with Midwest as the grantee, or any document where Midwest was on the receiving end of a real property interest.

The other place I would go to look for proof of ownership of mineral rights would be the probate court records. You want to find any probated will that left mineral rights to your grandfather, and a copy of your grandfather's probated will (whatever state/county that might have been in) to see if it lists any mineral rights in described lands in Grady County, Oklahoma.

If all of this seems a bit daunting, or perhaps impossible for you logistically, you can also consider contacting the American Association of Professional Landmen at and ask for a referral to an independent landman who could spend a day doing all of this for you at a cost of around $500.


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Marsha Breazeale, M.Ed., CDOA, CPLTA


All questions regarding division orders; ownership decimal calculations; title ownership and payer record changes (testate/intestate inheritance; deed; assignment; court order); oil and gas lease analysis for record-keeping and purposes of payment by operator or payer; pooling, horizontal wells, horizontal well allocation units; unclaimed property reporting; royalty owner relations questions. All questions concerning administration of surface land contracts and payment questions, such as for Surface Right-of-Way, Sub-Surface Right-of-Way, Easement, Surface Use Agreement. All questions regarding industry-standard and company-specific policies that affect land owners.


Sr. Staff Division Order Analyst. Certified Division Order Analyst (CDOA, National Association of Division Order Analysts) and Certified Lease Analyst (CPLTA, National Association of Professional Lease and Title Analysts) with 35 years of experience as a combination division order analyst and lease analyst in exploration and production in the oil and gas industry.

National Assoc. of Division Order Analysts (NADOA), National Association of Division Order Analysts (NALTA), American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL), American Society of Trainers and Developers (ASTD)

"How an Oil & Gas Exploration & Production Company Operates" and "Principles of Oil & Gas Lease Analysis: Standard Clauses", Oil Patch Press; Articles in NADOA Magazine; LandFocus EDU Professional Training Manuals

Education/Credentials Management from Our Lady of the Lake University in San Antonio; M.Ed. in Instructional Design from WGU Texas.

Past/Present Clients
Past 15 years: GeoSouthern Energy Corporation; Contango Oil Co./Crimson Exploration & Operating Inc.; Apache Corporation; BP America; Marathon Oil; Newfield Exploration

©2017 All rights reserved.