Oil/Gas/Oil annuities decendant

Question
Hi I just found out through a cousin on a genealogy website that my father who is not mentally competent and I am direct descendant of an oil well in Oklahoma. The cousin and I share a Great Great-grandmother who willed it to her children when she passed which would be my great grandmother. The cousin said her grandmother collected from it until she passed last  year and now her Mom collects from it. How do I find out about this?

Answer
Donna,
In order to determine whether you and your father are owners of a mineral interest in a well in Oklahoma, you will need to prove how he acquired his interest.  If he acquired his interest through inheritance, then a Probate for the estate of the decedent should have been filed recognizing the heirs and sending them into possession of their estate.  

If the decedent died in another state than where the oil well is located, then a certified copy of the Judgment of Possession filed in the estate, should be obtained and filed in the county/state where the oil well is located so that the current owners will be recognized.

Once this has been done, then the Operator of the well needs to be notified that you are now the owner of this interest pursuant to the estate of the deceased, and provided a copy of the Judgment of Possession.  

Of course, you did not say whether you know:
a) what county the oil well is located
b) whether there has been a succession filed on the prior owners
c) whether you know who the Operator is

If you do not, then there is quite a bit of work that is necessary, but it can be done.

If you would like for me to assist you - I could possibly help you with this but we would need to discuss this privately and not on this site.

You can email me at lfitzgerald@iliosresources.com

Best of luck - I hope you are able to be credited with this inherited interest.

Please visit my website at www.iliosresources.com  

Oil/Gas

Laura M. FitzGerald, CPL