Oil/Gas/Oil & Gas Surveys

Currently I own mineral & surface rights in Oklahoma. About every three months I receive letters from Oil & Gas companies requesting to do surveys on our property. Should I allow them to do it? Should I be compensated?

If you are a landowner as well as a mineral owner you have a much better chance of being "compensated" for seismic surveys than do those who own only the mineral rights. In some states, they must get permission from at least one mineral owner, but once they have that they can go on and do the survey.

One downside to a seismic survey is that if the results are not promising it may make your mineral rights less attractive to drill obviously, but the fact is you really can't stop them from doing it even if you are a landowner so best just to get what you can if anything is offered and hope for the best. The reason you can't really "stop" them is because the mineral estate is the "dominant" estate and so as long as at least one of the mineral owners gives them permission it will likely get done. That's why the send the letters out asking for permission.

That said, I'm not an attorney or anything, so you might check with one to see, but in my opinion it's going to be tough to refuse someone access to a seismic survey, and fairly unlikely you'll receive much compensation for it even if you are also the landowner.

Hope this helps you out.
Frederick M. "Mick" Scott CMM RPL
The Mineral Hub  

Frederick M. Scott

Oil and gas leasing, lease negotiations, how to best deal with the oil and gas companies or their representatives, buying/selling mineral rights, forced-pooling, correlative rights, deeds and conveyances, and "post-production" costs. I am most experienced with Oklahoma properties and laws, but am able to answer questions concerning other oil and gas producing states in many cases.

I am a Certified Professional Mineral Manager (CMM) certified by the National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO) in Tulsa, OK. I am also a Registered Professional Landman (RPL) with the American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL). I have managed my family's oil and gas properties in Oklahoma for over 10 years and have dealt with many landmen, title analysts, attorneys and other oil and gas professionals in the process. I have written several articles which have appeared in various oil and gas industry magazines and newsletters. I have negotiated and drafted leases, prepared deeds, affidavits, and other legal instruments relating to my own minerals, as well as performed title, legal research, and curative work for same. I have acquired a good deal of knowledge on the subjects of oil and gas law, mineral appraisal, and landwork over the past ten years, and also worked as a professional landman and lease buyer for a time. I've seen the business from "both sides" and therefore feel confident I can help out most of the folks who ask questions in this forum.

National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO); American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL)

National Association of Royalty Owners "Action Report" (ROAR); NADOA Magazine, The Mineral Hub, Landman Magazine, and several royalty owner association group's newsletters.

Certified Mineral Manager (CMM), Registered Professional Landman (RPL)