Oil/Gas/Depth Clause

Question
Hi frederick, I manage mineral's and the execution of leases in behalf of my Family. I have came across in Pittsburg Cty many yrs ago when we were able to lease the rights under the reserved acreage which was great,, 2 producing units and Bonus for the deeper rights.I always thought this was smart of my Father w/ this inclusion and therefore include it on future leases. Technically I can see why and O&G operator would not want this, But from a mineral owner perspective I do not see why not. Please read addendum I forwarded off to a CLR Rep. and advise of such wording. --- DEPTH CLAUSE:  In the event this lease is extended by commercial production beyond its primary term,  then on such date this lease shall terminate as to all rights one hundred feet and more below the stratigraphic equivalent of the deepest producing perforations in the well or wells located on the leased premises, or land unitized therewith. In the event this lease is extended by commercial production beyond its primary term,  then on such date this lease shall terminate as to all rights one hundred feet and above the stratigraphic equivalent of the shallowist producing perforations in the well or wells located on the leased premises, or land unitized therewith.       If Lessee is in the process of drilling or completing a well at the end of the primary term of this lease, this clause shall become effective upon conclusion of such operations.  -- Bottom line is from a mineral owner perspective and w/ today's drilling technology on exact zones where they intend to produce, why would you not try and then why is this never agreed to.

Answer
I rarely have any problems getting a depth clause included in my lease, but the one you provided above covers more than most companies are willing to agree too, hence I'd suggest just the first portion be submitted. Most companies that pay to drill a well are not going to want to give up their rights to formations they drill through to get to TD.

Hope this helps you out.
Frederick M. "Mick" Scott CMM RPL
www.mineralhub.com
The Mineral Hub  

Oil/Gas

Frederick M. Scott