Oil/Gas/Does Natural Gas Smell Pre-Processing

Question
I'm conducting a story in the Oil and Gas industry.  One of the people I'm interviewing said that while they were working on a well there was too much pressure because of natural gas buildup, but when bled the smell was too bad to continue.  

My question:  I'm aware that natural gas has an added oder agent to help detect leaks, but is natural gas, in it's pre-processed state, able to be detected by the human nose?

Thank you in advance for your answer.

Answer
Methane is generally what we consider to be "natural gas" and is an odorless gas prior to processing. It's possible that other "smelly" elements may be entrained in the gas stream as it reaches the surface however, and those other elements (i.e. hydrogen sulfide etc.) may indeed smell, and in fact may be harmful/fatal to breathe.

Hope this helps you out.
Frederick M. "Mick" Scott CMM, RPL
www.mineralhub.com
The Mineral Hub  

Oil/Gas

Frederick M. Scott