You are here:

Oil/Gas/oil/gas activity


My deceased father-in-law executed an oil, gas and mineral lease in 1984 on land described as 42.645 acres of land more or less being a part of the A. Livingston Survey, Abstract No 596, Cooke County, Texas.  He died in 1991.  How do I determine activity in this area and are maps of existing wells available for the area? Also how would I put someone on notice of the inheritance of these mineral rights by my wife and brother-in-law?

The Texas Railroad Commission (the regulatory body for oil and gas in Texas) has a wealth of well information available online concerning oil and gas activity. You can look up such things as drilling permits, production information and completion reports.

As to putting someone "on notice" you could file an "affidavit of heirship" with the county clerk's office stating who the heirs are. If the minerals have been producing since 1991 you'd want to contact the current operator and advise them of the ownership change.

Hope this helps you out.
Frederick M. "Mick" Scott CMM RPL
The Mineral Hub  


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Frederick M. Scott


Oil and gas leasing, lease negotiations, how to best deal with the oil and gas companies or their representatives, buying/selling mineral rights, forced-pooling, correlative rights, deeds and conveyances, and "post-production" costs. I am most experienced with Oklahoma properties and laws, but am able to answer questions concerning other oil and gas producing states in many cases.


I am a Certified Professional Mineral Manager (CMM) certified by the National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO) in Tulsa, OK. I am also a Registered Professional Landman (RPL) with the American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL). I have managed my family's oil and gas properties in Oklahoma for over 10 years and have dealt with many landmen, title analysts, attorneys and other oil and gas professionals in the process. I have written several articles which have appeared in various oil and gas industry magazines and newsletters. I have negotiated and drafted leases, prepared deeds, affidavits, and other legal instruments relating to my own minerals, as well as performed title, legal research, and curative work for same. I have acquired a good deal of knowledge on the subjects of oil and gas law, mineral appraisal, and landwork over the past ten years, and also worked as a professional landman and lease buyer for a time. I've seen the business from "both sides" and therefore feel confident I can help out most of the folks who ask questions in this forum.

National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO); American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL)

National Association of Royalty Owners "Action Report" (ROAR); NADOA Magazine, The Mineral Hub, Landman Magazine, and several royalty owner association group's newsletters.

Certified Mineral Manager (CMM), Registered Professional Landman (RPL)

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]