You are here:

Oil/Gas/oil and gas lease


I have an old oil and gas lease that was found in my parents' papers. It references the NW/4 of Section 14, Township 15N, Range 4E and containing 160 acres of Lincoln County.  The lease is from 1980 and I contacted the gentlemen who was and oil and gas broker, and he doesn't recall anything about it.  Could you give me a clue what to do to research this?  Thank you for any help you may give me.


There was a well drilled in that section in 2007 that is currently producing between 6000 and 8000 mcf of natural gas per month. Not a bad well really, but if your lease was from 1980 it likely expired before this section saw any production.

If you own (or inherited) any mineral rights in this section (apparently your parents owned some in 1980) then it's possible you should be getting paid royalty from this current well. I think it's possible your parents may have sold these mineral rights sometime after 1980 though and thus you would have no claim to royalty from the current well since someone else would own those rights now. Best to check your ownership (or your parents) to see if these are still in the family and if so contact the current operator to see why they are not paying you. Could be you'll have to satisfy them that you are in fact the current owner (assuming you inherited from your parents.)

You could visit the county clerk's office in Lincoln County, OK (or hire someone to go there on your behalf) and search through the land records to determine whether your parents ever sold these or not. The county clerk's office is where all records pertaining to transfers of ownership (if any) of these mineral rights over the years would be located.

You can also view my article entitled "How Can I Locate Who Owns the Mineral Rights Under My Land?" which can be found on This Page of the Mineral Hub website.

Hope this helps you out.
Frederick M. "Mick" Scott CMM, RPL
The Mineral Hub  


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Frederick M. Scott


Oil and gas leasing, lease negotiations, how to best deal with the oil and gas companies or their representatives, buying/selling mineral rights, forced-pooling, correlative rights, deeds and conveyances, and "post-production" costs. I am most experienced with Oklahoma properties and laws, but am able to answer questions concerning other oil and gas producing states in many cases.


I am a Certified Professional Mineral Manager (CMM) certified by the National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO) in Tulsa, OK. I am also a Registered Professional Landman (RPL) with the American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL). I have managed my family's oil and gas properties in Oklahoma for over 10 years and have dealt with many landmen, title analysts, attorneys and other oil and gas professionals in the process. I have written several articles which have appeared in various oil and gas industry magazines and newsletters. I have negotiated and drafted leases, prepared deeds, affidavits, and other legal instruments relating to my own minerals, as well as performed title, legal research, and curative work for same. I have acquired a good deal of knowledge on the subjects of oil and gas law, mineral appraisal, and landwork over the past ten years, and also worked as a professional landman and lease buyer for a time. I've seen the business from "both sides" and therefore feel confident I can help out most of the folks who ask questions in this forum.

National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO); American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL)

National Association of Royalty Owners "Action Report" (ROAR); NADOA Magazine, The Mineral Hub, Landman Magazine, and several royalty owner association group's newsletters.

Certified Mineral Manager (CMM), Registered Professional Landman (RPL)

©2017 All rights reserved.