Oil/Gas/Oil on land

Question
I think there is oil on my private property, what do I do now?

I live on a few acres in the country. I think I have an oil well (potentially) based on the fact that there is a large wet spot that does not dry out, has the color of oil, and separates from water when mixed. I know I need to get it tested, but I am having difficulty finding who to do that or who to send a sample to. I live in Missouri. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance!

Answer
Hi Kristin,

I would contact the University of Missouri, to see if they might be able to test your soil for oil. I believe there is a fee.

http://soilplantlab.missouri.edu/soil/
http://soilplantlab.missouri.edu/soil/soilsamples.aspx

If you can confirm that you do have oil reserves on your land, you might want to contact the following company that is already involved in exploration in SE Kansas:

Dart Cherokee Basin Operating Co, LLC — Independence, KS
Independence, KS Office
211 W. Myrtle St.
Independence, KS 67301

Ph: 620.331.7870
Fx: 620.331.7948
contact@dartoilandgas.com

Thanks again.

Oil/Gas

Brian Robinson, J.D.