Oil/Gas/Oil on land

I think there is oil on my private property, what do I do now?

I live on a few acres in the country. I think I have an oil well (potentially) based on the fact that there is a large wet spot that does not dry out, has the color of oil, and separates from water when mixed. I know I need to get it tested, but I am having difficulty finding who to do that or who to send a sample to. I live in Missouri. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance!

Hi Kristin,

I would contact the University of Missouri, to see if they might be able to test your soil for oil. I believe there is a fee.

If you can confirm that you do have oil reserves on your land, you might want to contact the following company that is already involved in exploration in SE Kansas:

Dart Cherokee Basin Operating Co, LLC — Independence, KS
Independence, KS Office
211 W. Myrtle St.
Independence, KS 67301

Ph: 620.331.7870
Fx: 620.331.7948

Thanks again.

Brian Robinson, J.D.

Questions related to Oil and Gas Exploration and Production.

More then 13 years handling matters involving: •Joint Operating Agreement Preparation and Reviews •Farm-In and Farm-Out Agreements •Assignments •Purchase and Sale Agreements •Due Diligence •Research •Data Room Development •Divestitures •Title Curative •Oil and Gas Lease Management •Negotiations •Run Sheets •Pipeline Right-of-Way Acquisitions •Unpaid and Unclaimed Royalty Solutions

I'm the managing member of Innovative Contracts Consulting LLC, which has developed its oil and gas professional service capabilities over many years and is able to provide subject matter expertise in land and other related oil and gas upstream services. We provide our clients with experienced leadership and a team of go to land and oil and gas professionals that have expertise in all the producing regions of the United States, the Caribbean and in certain offshore locations in Central and South America.

Juris Doctor, University of Kansas School of Law Business Administration (BBA), Texas Wesleyan University