Oil/Gas/shale drilling

I am a realtor trying to set a value on a property in Columbiana County Ohio that has an owned, operating gas well that  has a history of supplying the home on the property for years. There is a prospective shale well sight within a half mile. How likely is fracking a shale well, to disturb and or take the pocket of gas for the existing well.   Marty Yeany

From the sounds of the description that you have provided. It seems like the existing gas production is quite old and is producing out of a formation that is much more shallower than the nearby shale formation prospect.  

Without knowing everything about this property, I would say that it is unlikely any fracking in your area would disturb the existing natural gas production of the subject property, as I am under the impression that what is currently being produced is in a totally different formation/zone.  The object of fracking is to break up and spread out the pores of a shale formation to either mature hydrocarbons or create channels for the fluids to move through.  In other words, If a company spends money on a frack job they want all of the frack fluids and pressures to be isolated within that shale formation, otherwise it could cause a series of problems along with massive expenses.

It might be a good idea to find out what depths the existing wells are producing from and then find out what the prospective well is going to be drilled to and for(oil, gas, condensate, etc.). I have a feeling that the zones will be several thousands of feet apart from one another in both vertical depth and horizontal spacing.

Since I have not reviewed the exact location of the property or the prospective shale drilling location, I must disclose for legal reasons that the information above can not be guaranteed or warranted.  

I strongly believe that the zones are completely isolated from one another. I would also recommend that you look into some articles on how to properly frack a well and the correct procedures.  There has been many concerns about fresh water pollution from well fracking.  Since fracking is a fairly new part of the industry, there has been problems in the past. I would say that if you do not know of or have not heard from this then you should look into it as I am sure a potential buyer may bring this up as a way to low ball the price.

There should be a lot of articles on the internet that explain all of the correct procedures and regulations that are needed to insure that the drilling and frack fluids do not disrupt the fresh water aquifers above.  Things like intermediate casing and testing the cementing of the well.  This concept of protecting the drinking water above the shale formation should be a good example in how the property's existing gas production should not be affected by the drilling activity of the nearby prospective well, that is if the zones are truly isolated as I expect they are.

Chris Termeer  

Chris Termeer

I can answer a broad variety of questions about oil and gas in the upstream, midstream, and downstream sectors of the industry. Topics of knowledge include but are not limited to: * History of the industry * Basic questions about formation of hydrocarbons (hydrocarbon window, geologic processes that create oil and gas formations) * Types of formation structures, source rocks, and traps * Surrounding production analysis (how to, importance of etc) * Basic questions about magnetic surveys, geometric surveys, seismic surveys (2D and 3D) and radiometric surveys. (Including relative strengths and weaknesses and how performed.) * Basic questions of cable tool drilling * Complex questions about rotary drilling, its components, operations, how to set up a rig. Drilling operations including fluid/mud, cuttings analysis, downhole testing, directional drilling, making and tripping pipe, cementing casing (importance of and how performed etc), common drilling mistakes and problems. * Complex questions about post- (though sometimes occurs during) drilling activities such as well logging, sidewall and whole core sampling, drill stem testing, reserves analysis and projections. * Basic questions about well completions including installation of surface wellhead and subsurface safety valve, well perforations, lateral and horizontal completions, hydraulic fracturing, (I prefer the spelling form "fracking" for the active verb and "frac" for the noun form) and wellbore swabbing. * Basic questions about so-called "flush production" (others call primary recovery) such as natural gas drive, water drive, compaction drive and gravity/dip drive. * Complex questions about artifical hydrocarbon lift technologies such as the sucker rod pumpjack, plunger lift pumps, gas lift pumps and electric subsersible pumps. * Basic questions about secondary and tertiary recovery techniques including water flooding, gas injection (be it CO2 or N), anaerobic recovery and so forth.

I have worked in this industry for many years and have at least some experience in all aspects of it. My specialty in recent years has been in upstream exploration and production. I have worked as a Consultant and general partner for a variety of projects in Texas, Illinois, Louisiana, Colorado. My experience is also built on my extensive writing in the oil and gas industry on a series of blogs and websites and my recently published book, Fundamentals of Investing in Oil and Gas.

Owner,, Owner,, Owner,

Self-published author of Fundamentals of Investing in Oil and Gas, (ISBN: 978-0-9890434-1-0 and Library of Congress Control Number: 2013906080) Contributing author on

Bachelor's of Science from Michigan State University with a variety of other coursework at other Universities including the University of South Florida and University of Wollongong.