Oil/Gas/Dewey County, OK Lease Offer

Question
We were currently offered $250/net acre in Section 21 18W-18N for one year. They said they would up it to $350 if we did 2 years.  This is in Dewey County, OK.  I don't know what a "current" rate is right now. I do know that they've either drilled here or are fixing too.  3 years ago we leased it for $350/net acre which ended up being way too low because a couple months later they gave $800/net acre to a family member for the exact same land for 3 years. I just don't want to lease it for less than I should be getting.  Thanks.

Answer
I agree that $350 is a low offer in general, but then it's only for two years. You can do better if you agree to lease longer. I would shoot for $900/acre, 3 years, 3/16 royalty. There have been leases bought in this area recently for that amount. Valpoint Energy and Chesapeake Exploration are two of the companies that have filed leases of record in your section over the past six months.  

If they balk at $900/acre, remind them that Section 20 (adjacent to your 21) was force-pooled by Valpoint in January of this year for $900/acre and 3/16 royalty, indicating they were paying at least that much for leases prior to applying to force-pool the mineral owners they either couldn't find or couldn't reach an agreement to lease with.

Hope this helps you out.
Frederick M. "Mick" Scott CMM RPL
www.mineralhub.com
The Mineral Hub  

Oil/Gas

Frederick M. Scott