Oil/Gas/lease

Question
I have been receiving royalty checks for as long as I can remember.  The leases were set up for me by my grandfather when I was a baby.  The amounts of these payments have always been tiny.  I never thought that there was anything that I could do to improve the payments.  They are gas & oil royalties &/or mineral payments.  My decimal interests is .0119. I never had any advise or talked to an attorney.  I would like to find out if it is worth while to have someone who knows these things look at these leases?  Is it worth it to contact these companies for copies of the leases in the state of Texas?  Should I not worry about it as there is nothing I could do.  Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Answer
Ella,
I believe it is always a good idea to understand your ownership so you can make informed decisions about them.  
Unless you are not being paid the correct decimal interest, or you have not been recognized by all the Operators who should be paying you, there is not much else I could see you doing to improve the payments.  
The questions are, however:
a) am I being paid the correct decimal interest
b) am I being recognized for all the interests I should be credited with.

The only way to determine this is to go back to the document that created your ownership and then review the lands on which you own an interest to see what production activity is in place and who the Operators are that are operating the wells.  Then, you can contact them, with the document that created your interest to inquire about correct payments.
Due to the fact that the oil and gas industry is complex, you will need to have an oil and gas attonrey assist you or someone like myself who has experience in oil and gas matters.  
If you would like for me to take a look at it and give you my further opinoin, please feel free to email me copies of your recent check statements to my company at lfitzgerald@iliosresources.com.
Other than this, I am not aware of anything else you can do to assure yourself that you are being credited with what you inherited from your Grandfather.
Best of luck -  

Oil/Gas

Laura M. FitzGerald, CPL