Oil/Gas/mineral rights

Question
I have inherited mineral rights from my mother and aunt. I have a very old agreement between them and a Mr. John R March in Ardmore, OK a a lessee. He is now apparently deceased. Many years ago my mom received a check for about $172.oo as I recall. I don't see where she ever received any other dollar amounts regarding oil being pumped. What happens when this lessee passes away? How do I find out if there is a further agreement out there regarding this property? This property is Section 5, township 10 north, 3 east in Shawnee, Ok. My aunts property is 80 acres also and is next to moms. both my mom and aunt are deceased now. marsha shaw

Answer
Gentry 1-5 Well Plugged
Gentry 1-5 Well Plugge  
When a natural person dies who is a Lessee in an oil and gas lease, the cost-bearing ownership of the oil and gas lease passes to his/her heirs or devisees (beneficiaries under a probated Will).  The lease does not expire when a Lessee dies.

The important question is whether the lease is still valid, or if it has expired under its own terms.  From what I found on the Oklahoma Corporation Commission website (copy attached) the only well that ever produced in 5-10N-3W, Pottawatomie County, Oklahoma is now plugged and abandoned.

This means that the oil and gas lease has expired.  It appears that you are free to lease to anyone else who wants to buy a lease from you.

Oil/Gas

Marsha Breazeale, M.Ed., CDOA, CPLTA