Oil/Gas/subsurface easement valuation for trespass

Question
Negotiate or sue a drilling company in Utah for subsurface trespass?
A drilling company (company A) has drilled a well to our south, resulting in a subsurface trespass 300' in and out of our property at 9000' deep.  They claim the pipe is sealed, and that it was the only path they could take to get where they wanted.  My mineral rights are leased to another company (company B), who were notified in Jan. of 2014 and gave permission, reasoning that our minerals were protected (therefore they are not going to help us fight company B).  Company B, notified us in April 2014 and now wants to compensate us a one time $500 to establish and easement.  I believe I'm being blatantly low-balled and taken advantage of.  
Is it unreasonable to ask for an annual sum, and if so, how is one to know what a going rate is?  Do I need a lawyer?  Any lawyer will cost triple + what they've offered just to negotiate/re-word a contract.  What's a rancher to do?

Answer
If the pipe is sealed they are not trespassing assuming the oil and gas regulatory body for Utah gave them permission to drill through your minerals on their way to a producing zone that is not part of your minerals. You could probably pull up their drilling permit online to verify this.

Not sure why they are wanting to "compensate" you though. Would seem to me like they don't need to. I would certainly be careful about accepting/signing any "compensation" paperwork, and yes, would seek the advice of an oil and gas attorney prior to doing so.

If you do nothing, and it's later found that they are in fact producing your minerals then you would probably have a case for trespass. I would think the other company you did lease to would also be concerned if in fact Company A started producing your minerals out from under you.

Hope this helps you out.
Frederick M. "Mick" Scott CMM RPL
www.mineralhub.com
The Mineral Hub  

Oil/Gas

Frederick M. Scott