Oil/Gas/Fractional equivalent of decimal interest?

Question
Mr. Scott,
  I inherited  20 producing mineral acres from my father that has passed. The well was drilled in 1982. My decimal interest is .0058593500. Can you help me put that into a fraction percent. It is in Custer Co . Oklahoma and I would think its a 640 spacing?

Answer
Assuming it's a 1/8 royalty (many old wells are) and a 640-spacing, your decimal indicates they are paying you on 30 acres. With a 3/16 royalty it would be 20 acres though.

Multiply the decimal by the spacing unit size, then divide by the royalty to get these acreage figures.

To express the decimal as a percentage you'd simply multiply it by 100, resulting in .585935%. The fractional equivalent would be 117187/20000000.

Hope this helps you out.
Frederick M. "Mick" Scott CMM, RPL
www.mineralhub.com
The Mineral Hub  

Oil/Gas

Frederick M. Scott