Oil/Gas/Gas and oil rights info, creek county, Oklahoma

Question
Hello, I recently have located documents regarding an oil and gas lease in creek county Ok.  It is for three tracks of land.  I am listed as an heir and am interested in finding out more information on the subject.  I know virtually nothing about oil and mineral rights.  Any advise or suggestions would be appreciated.  I do have the land tract info if it is at all useful:

1) southeast quarter of southeast quarter (se1/4 se 1/4) of sect 22, township 15 North, range 9 east
2) northeast qtr of northeast qtr (ne1/4 ne 1/4) of sect 27, township 15 north, range 9 east.
3) northwest qtr of northwest qtr (nw1/4 nw1/4) of sect 27 township 15 north, range 9 east.

The documents are from may 1998
Thank you, Rhianna Miller

Answer
An old oil and gas lease signed by one of your relatives likely means they at one time or another owned some mineral rights in those sections. How much is unknown however, unless you can find other documentation showing the net acres they owned (only the gross acres leased from everyone are shown on the lease itself.)

There is no current well in Section 22, and a very small, and very old, well in the NW/4 of Section 27. You might attempt to contact Donald J. Sellers, who is listed as the operator of that well to see if they have your relative's name in their books. If so, then they may have been holding some royalty payments from this well for them at one point.

All ownership records would be on file at the Creek County Clerk's office. You could visit there (or hire someone to search for you) and trace the ownership of these sections to see if your relatives ever sold it. If not, and you are an heir, then you would now own them.

Check out www.mineralhub.com for more info on mineral rights if you are not familiar with them. The "Mineral Hub News" page has several articles you may be interested in, as well as the FAQ pages.

Hope this helps you out.
Frederick M. "Mick" Scott CMM, RPL
www.mineralhub.com
The Mineral Hub  

Oil/Gas

Frederick M. Scott