You are here:

Oil/Gas/mineral rights records


My father and grandfather passed away twenty years ago, leaving little or no records of mineral rights holdings. Many times my sisters and I receive leasing/purchasing offers for mineral rights that we had no idea that we owned. Recently I received a lease offer for mineral rights in Lea County, NM. I would accept their terms, but they are asking me how many acres I own - this is the first I had heard about it. How can I go about finding this information out, for these rights in NM? Is there any way that I can search for any other unknown rights in OK, TX, and NM? I joined the Mineral Rights Registry last year, but that did me no good as far as I could tell . . . .. .  I would greatly appreciate any advice!

Unfortunately there is no easy way to determine where you may have possibly inherited mineral rights from your family.  The only way to determine what you own would be through a mineral title examination in each county in which you think your grandfather and father had interests.  By chance, was a succession filed on either one of them?  If so, their Judgment of Possession may give you some information that would lead you down the right path.

Also, you could check with the Escheated Funds division reported by each State, to see if there were any monies owed you that had been paid to the State since they could not determine who the proper owners were; but other than this, it is a difficult and arduous task.  

If someone calls to offer you terms to negotiate an oil and gas lease, I would suggest that you seek out an oil and gas professional who can advise you on whether the terms that are being offered are in line with the market values.  As far as the interest the company has said you own, I believe you can assume their findings are correct because they have conducted a title examination in order to determine who the current owners are.  You can however, ask them to provide you with a copy of their title examination so you can at least have good records from that time forward.

If you would like further information in regard to fees for this type of consultation, please email me at

I'm sorry there is not a better answer I can give you, but locating and confirming what mineral interests you may have inherited is quite a task.  

Best of luck!  


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Laura M. FitzGerald, CPL


PLEASE READ CAREFULLY BEFORE SUBMITTING A QUESTION. I can answer all questions related to oil and gas ownership, mineral interests and working interests concerning the leasing and selling of your minerals, any questions concerning pipeline ROW's, units with the Louisiana Department of Conservation; pooling provisions, depth limitations, vertical or horizontal pugh clauses; and oil and gas terminology. I can offer assistance in negotiating for leasing your property, assisting in locating owners of suspended funds or to receive the best offer for your oil and gas interests, should you desire to sell. I am only able to answer questions regarding oil and gas leases, minerals, royalties, or offers to purchase mineral/royalty interests if I have complete information. Please provide a full legal description for your interest(s). If the question pertains to a lease, please include all terms of any current (or desired) lease offers, including lease bonus amount, royalty and lease term. If the question is regarding a mineral or royalty interest offer to purchase, please provide the offer amount, date of offer, other offer terms, and further details on the mineral/royalty interest, such as lease terms, and if producing, the average monthly income. Since I receive numerous inquiries daily, I am only able to answer your questions efficiently and effectively if I have complete information. I must decline any questions submitted with incomplete information. If your question is non-technical in nature and you simply need assistance understanding an oil and gas matter, please submit your question with as much information and detail as possible. Any background information that has led to your question is also very helpful.


I have over 34 years experience as an Independent Petroleum Landman. I became a Landman after working as a paralegal for Oil & Gas Attorneys for 8 years. My first 2 years were spent specializing in Well History and Research with the Louisiana Department of Conservation, then moving into clearing title defects and handling title curative for oil and gas properties for the next 6 years. Subsequent thereto, I handled title issues, buying oil and gas leases and settling surface damages. I also acquired acreage for drilling prospects in excess of 10,000 acres. I also became a mineral/royalty owner commencing in 2004 and have found that I can help many people when they have reached the point in their lives they feel converting their minerals or royalties into a cash asset benefits them.

American Association for Professional Landmen, ArkLaTex Assoc. of Professional Landmen, and Dallas Association of Professional Landmen (DAPL), Certified by the Women's Business Enterprise National Council (WBENC)- South. This certification is one of the most widely recognized and respected certifications in the nation. This designation is reserved for only those women-led businesses that exemplify the characteristics of integrity and professionalism to which the WBENC adheres to so strictly.

Attended LSU, became a Certified Professional Landman in 1994; Notary Public with dual authority in multiple parishes in North Louisiana; Bilingual in English and Greek

Awards and Honors
Expert Oil & Gas Professional assisting attorneys representing landowners. Involved in 2 lawsuits and both suits were awarded to the landowner. Ilios Resources, Inc. has been awarded the Best of Shreveport Oil and Gas Mineral Buyer Award for 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013 and 2012.

Past/Present Clients
Consultant Landman for Texas Oil & Gas (TXO Production Corp.), Anadarko Petroleum, Comstock Resources,Independent Geologists, Pipeline ROW Clients, and Oil & Gas Attorneys. For the past 5 years my practice is primarily an advocacy for the landowner. I also assist royalty owners recover suspended payments or incorrect royalty payments, or sell their mineral or royalty interest.

©2017 All rights reserved.