Oil/Gas/O&G Fraud by Family Member

One of my family members sold his mineral rights (several times) and then "sold" and "notarized" the sale of my rights and those of my aunt. The O&G company (Rippy/Range Resources) was going to drill on our land, when the fraud was discovered. Our lease ran out April 2014 and has not been renewed. In 2012, I took notarized letters showing my aunt and I had not sold any rights and had them registered with the Leon County, Texas, clerk. However, we don't know how to proceed to uncloud the title so another O&G company could pick up a lease for the property. Any help you can give me would be great. Thank you. Kathryn

You need to visit with an attorney about this, preferably one who works in the county where the mineral rights are located (cheaper that way.) If someone forged both your name and a notaries credentials on a deed that would be a crime of course and thus any deeds he signed for minerals he didn't own could be invalidated fairly easily I think.

An attorney might file a "Lis-Penden" of record, which is basically a statement that puts everyone on notice that you are suing this guy. It would likely keep him from receiving any future bonus money for minerals he didn't own. You could file this yourself but I would advise an attorney help you with it. An attorney could also help you "uncloud" your title if needed.

Hope this helps you out.
Frederick M. "Mick" Scott CMM RPL
The Mineral Hub  

Frederick M. Scott

Oil and gas leasing, lease negotiations, how to best deal with the oil and gas companies or their representatives, buying/selling mineral rights, forced-pooling, correlative rights, deeds and conveyances, and "post-production" costs. I am most experienced with Oklahoma properties and laws, but am able to answer questions concerning other oil and gas producing states in many cases.

I am a Certified Professional Mineral Manager (CMM) certified by the National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO) in Tulsa, OK. I am also a Registered Professional Landman (RPL) with the American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL). I have managed my family's oil and gas properties in Oklahoma for over 10 years and have dealt with many landmen, title analysts, attorneys and other oil and gas professionals in the process. I have written several articles which have appeared in various oil and gas industry magazines and newsletters. I have negotiated and drafted leases, prepared deeds, affidavits, and other legal instruments relating to my own minerals, as well as performed title, legal research, and curative work for same. I have acquired a good deal of knowledge on the subjects of oil and gas law, mineral appraisal, and landwork over the past ten years, and also worked as a professional landman and lease buyer for a time. I've seen the business from "both sides" and therefore feel confident I can help out most of the folks who ask questions in this forum.

National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO); American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL)

National Association of Royalty Owners "Action Report" (ROAR); NADOA Magazine, The Mineral Hub, Landman Magazine, and several royalty owner association group's newsletters.

Certified Mineral Manager (CMM), Registered Professional Landman (RPL)