You are here:

Oil/Gas/Oil and Gas Lease


Hello.  I am located in Boston.  How do I obtain a copy of my oil and gas lease from Pontotoc County, OK?  Thank you.

First, you need to know the exact name of the Lessor named in the OGL (oil and gas lease).  If it is you, and you've lost or misplaced your file copy of the lease, your full name will be the Lessor in the lease.  If the lease is not more than 15 years old and the Lessor is a relative or ancestor, and you're not sure what name it might be under but think you would recognize it if you saw it, read on.

There is a website,, that allows you to search by name for oil & gas leases in Oklahoma for free, but you must know at least the last name of at least one person you think might be listed in the lease as Lessor.  Also, I don't know how far back this free search database goes--what I saw was all less than 15 years old.  But it might contain older leases but I just didn't see them.  I was searching under the name "Anderson" just to pull something up.

In your search, you will want to look only at documents with type "OGL" or "LEASE". The Lessor(s) are listed first in the column headed "PEOPLE", and the original Lessee (person or company who took the lease from the landowner) is listed last.

If you find what you are looking for, you will need to follow the website instructions on how to subscribe so you can print a copy of what you found.

If this website can't give you what you need, you will need to contact the American Association of Professional Landmen ( to ask for a referral for a landman in Ponototoc County who can go to the courthouse with no travel expenses, to search the records for you.  This might cost you as much as a minimum of 1 full day at a day rate ranging anywhere from $250 to $500 per day.  The courthouse employees will not do research for you.  They can only furnish a photocopy of the lease after you give them the Volume and Page where it is filed--they aren't allowed to search for the Volume and Page for you.  Good luck.


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Marsha Breazeale, M.Ed., CDOA, CPLTA


All questions regarding division orders; ownership decimal calculations; title ownership and payer record changes (testate/intestate inheritance; deed; assignment; court order); oil and gas lease analysis for record-keeping and purposes of payment by operator or payer; pooling, horizontal wells, horizontal well allocation units; unclaimed property reporting; royalty owner relations questions. All questions concerning administration of surface land contracts and payment questions, such as for Surface Right-of-Way, Sub-Surface Right-of-Way, Easement, Surface Use Agreement. All questions regarding industry-standard and company-specific policies that affect land owners.


Sr. Staff Division Order Analyst. Certified Division Order Analyst (CDOA, National Association of Division Order Analysts) and Certified Lease Analyst (CPLTA, National Association of Professional Lease and Title Analysts) with 35 years of experience as a combination division order analyst and lease analyst in exploration and production in the oil and gas industry.

National Assoc. of Division Order Analysts (NADOA), National Association of Division Order Analysts (NALTA), American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL), American Society of Trainers and Developers (ASTD)

"How an Oil & Gas Exploration & Production Company Operates" and "Principles of Oil & Gas Lease Analysis: Standard Clauses", Oil Patch Press; Articles in NADOA Magazine; LandFocus EDU Professional Training Manuals

Education/Credentials Management from Our Lady of the Lake University in San Antonio; M.Ed. in Instructional Design from WGU Texas.

Past/Present Clients
Past 15 years: GeoSouthern Energy Corporation; Contango Oil Co./Crimson Exploration & Operating Inc.; Apache Corporation; BP America; Marathon Oil; Newfield Exploration

©2017 All rights reserved.