Oil/Gas/seismic survey

Back in the 1980's (not sure about the year), a seismic survey was done on my mother's property. We had 30 acres in Acadia Parish and 90 in St. Landry Parish.

My mother said she never heard anything further about it after it was done.

Since then she has passed away and my siblings and I sold the land but maintained the mineral rights.

Personally, I'm curious as to why it was done.

Did she not hear anything because there was nothing to be found in terms of oil/gas or do companies doing such work just store this information in case someone comes along and wants to buy it?

There are many possible reasons why nothing was done on your families land.

here are a few possibilities.

1.) after the study was finished it could of been thought that nothing was worth pursuing at that time. in other words, the results might of shown possible oil, gas or other minerals of value but the market prices for those potential minerals might not have been high enough to pay for the extraction costs associated with bringing those minerals to market. in other words they would not get the expected return on investment.

2.) after the study was finished it was deemed that there was nothing there.

3.) after the study was finished, the company thought there was something there and moved forward with a development plan but failed to get proper funding and ultimately it never got developed.

4.) after the study was finished, the company thought there was something there and moved forward in tracking down all of the mineral owners but after several long expensive months, the company found out that the people they were dealing with were not the actual owners or there was many owners (+100 owners) instead of one and the time and cost of getting all owners to agree on a lease, purchase, sale was to much.  (*** this is often the case***)

5.)  oil and gas or other mineral exploration actually happened in the area just not on your families land.  The company could of purchased or leased and drilled a well in a close by location and after further exploration it was deemed dry or not worth expanding on. of course that could also relate to the current market price for those minerals at that time as well.

6.) the exploration company could of came to the realization that there wasnt enough land there to pay for a large operation. 30 acres is not that much land and they might of had a better opportunity come along.

It is really hard to say what the exact reasons were or are but those are just some of the things that could of taken place with your families land. I would be more then happy to discuss opportunities with the mineral owners of this property.

If interested feel free to email me at

Chris Termeer

Chris Termeer

I can answer a broad variety of questions about oil and gas in the upstream, midstream, and downstream sectors of the industry. Topics of knowledge include but are not limited to: * History of the industry * Basic questions about formation of hydrocarbons (hydrocarbon window, geologic processes that create oil and gas formations) * Types of formation structures, source rocks, and traps * Surrounding production analysis (how to, importance of etc) * Basic questions about magnetic surveys, geometric surveys, seismic surveys (2D and 3D) and radiometric surveys. (Including relative strengths and weaknesses and how performed.) * Basic questions of cable tool drilling * Complex questions about rotary drilling, its components, operations, how to set up a rig. Drilling operations including fluid/mud, cuttings analysis, downhole testing, directional drilling, making and tripping pipe, cementing casing (importance of and how performed etc), common drilling mistakes and problems. * Complex questions about post- (though sometimes occurs during) drilling activities such as well logging, sidewall and whole core sampling, drill stem testing, reserves analysis and projections. * Basic questions about well completions including installation of surface wellhead and subsurface safety valve, well perforations, lateral and horizontal completions, hydraulic fracturing, (I prefer the spelling form "fracking" for the active verb and "frac" for the noun form) and wellbore swabbing. * Basic questions about so-called "flush production" (others call primary recovery) such as natural gas drive, water drive, compaction drive and gravity/dip drive. * Complex questions about artifical hydrocarbon lift technologies such as the sucker rod pumpjack, plunger lift pumps, gas lift pumps and electric subsersible pumps. * Basic questions about secondary and tertiary recovery techniques including water flooding, gas injection (be it CO2 or N), anaerobic recovery and so forth.

I have worked in this industry for many years and have at least some experience in all aspects of it. My specialty in recent years has been in upstream exploration and production. I have worked as a Consultant and general partner for a variety of projects in Texas, Illinois, Louisiana, Colorado. My experience is also built on my extensive writing in the oil and gas industry on a series of blogs and websites and my recently published book, Fundamentals of Investing in Oil and Gas.

Owner,, Owner,, Owner,

Self-published author of Fundamentals of Investing in Oil and Gas, (ISBN: 978-0-9890434-1-0 and Library of Congress Control Number: 2013906080) Contributing author on

Bachelor's of Science from Michigan State University with a variety of other coursework at other Universities including the University of South Florida and University of Wollongong.