Dear sir
I would like to know is it safe to use crane instead of pulling unit at small swabbing or standing valve fixation operation with shallow oil wells

First off this should not be used as advices of any sort.

I personally would not use a crane as I do not think you will achieve the necessary down hole pressures to accomplish the purging of the well or swabbing.

Once again this is not advice but a story I think you might be interested in. I have seen a few good old boys use a home made built pulley system with a motor attached a cable.  the cable had a weight at the end and suction cups to cause the pressure differentials between down hole and up hole.  These individuals that I witnessed used a few rags attached to the cable a few feet above the suction cups, I was quite surprised that they used cloth rags instead of something more durable but like I said these were good old boys.  they would lower the cable, weight, suction cups, and warning flag combination into the hole. once it was on the bottom they would fire up the motor and rip the line out of the whole at a very high rate of speed. the suction cups gripped the sides of the production casing which caused a massive pressure differential.  they looked at the cable for the flags to show up in order to stop the motor so the entire cable line would not fly out of the hole.

As I said before I do not recommend this, nor should this be used as advice but what I witnessed that day was one of the craziest things I have seen in the patch but they seemed to be able to purge the well. I do not know if they ever were successful in reaching there objections in what they were doing how ever.

I believe using a crane would be to slow and I personally wouldnt do it.  but please be warned that others might not recommend swabing a well at all, depending on the condition of the casing.  I would recommend seeking out a professional in your area.

Best of luck

Chris Termeer  

Chris Termeer

I can answer a broad variety of questions about oil and gas in the upstream, midstream, and downstream sectors of the industry. Topics of knowledge include but are not limited to: * History of the industry * Basic questions about formation of hydrocarbons (hydrocarbon window, geologic processes that create oil and gas formations) * Types of formation structures, source rocks, and traps * Surrounding production analysis (how to, importance of etc) * Basic questions about magnetic surveys, geometric surveys, seismic surveys (2D and 3D) and radiometric surveys. (Including relative strengths and weaknesses and how performed.) * Basic questions of cable tool drilling * Complex questions about rotary drilling, its components, operations, how to set up a rig. Drilling operations including fluid/mud, cuttings analysis, downhole testing, directional drilling, making and tripping pipe, cementing casing (importance of and how performed etc), common drilling mistakes and problems. * Complex questions about post- (though sometimes occurs during) drilling activities such as well logging, sidewall and whole core sampling, drill stem testing, reserves analysis and projections. * Basic questions about well completions including installation of surface wellhead and subsurface safety valve, well perforations, lateral and horizontal completions, hydraulic fracturing, (I prefer the spelling form "fracking" for the active verb and "frac" for the noun form) and wellbore swabbing. * Basic questions about so-called "flush production" (others call primary recovery) such as natural gas drive, water drive, compaction drive and gravity/dip drive. * Complex questions about artifical hydrocarbon lift technologies such as the sucker rod pumpjack, plunger lift pumps, gas lift pumps and electric subsersible pumps. * Basic questions about secondary and tertiary recovery techniques including water flooding, gas injection (be it CO2 or N), anaerobic recovery and so forth.

I have worked in this industry for many years and have at least some experience in all aspects of it. My specialty in recent years has been in upstream exploration and production. I have worked as a Consultant and general partner for a variety of projects in Texas, Illinois, Louisiana, Colorado. My experience is also built on my extensive writing in the oil and gas industry on a series of blogs and websites and my recently published book, Fundamentals of Investing in Oil and Gas.

Owner,, Owner,, Owner,

Self-published author of Fundamentals of Investing in Oil and Gas, (ISBN: 978-0-9890434-1-0 and Library of Congress Control Number: 2013906080) Contributing author on

Bachelor's of Science from Michigan State University with a variety of other coursework at other Universities including the University of South Florida and University of Wollongong.