Oil/Gas/Gas Lease

I am in Pa. A few years ago, everyone around me, except myself was offered a gas lease. When I brought up legitimate questions and intelligent concerns to the gas company pertaining to a lease, I was avoided like the plague. The landsman that I was speaking with kept dragging out the discussions for as long as possible without ever giving me an actual lease to review (stall tactics!) The original leases around me have expired and those around me are again being offered renewal leases.  I am again being avoided.  I can not get any answers from the gas company.  Do you have any idea why a gas company would lease all around me and avoid leasing from me or addressing my concerns in an honest and straigtforward manner?  I am not opposed to a lease but what I am opposed to is to sign a lease that I do not understand and I also do want to clarify some lease issues before I sign anything.  Why should such an approach 'scare away' a gas company?

I agree you should understand what you are signing before you sign it. If the lessee won't give you the attention you seek then have an oil and gas attorney review the lease for you. A lessee will try to lease the "easy ones" first, and if you are giving them a difficult time (whether deserved or not) that might explain why they are "avoiding" you.

I'd check with the "neighbors" and see what they got for a lease (many online forums available for this) and then run the lessee's proposed lease by an oil and gas attorney who is familiar with the area.

Hope this helps you out!
Frederick M. "Mick" Scott CMM, RPL
The Mineral Hub

Frederick M. Scott

Oil and gas leasing, lease negotiations, how to best deal with the oil and gas companies or their representatives, buying/selling mineral rights, forced-pooling, correlative rights, deeds and conveyances, and "post-production" costs. I am most experienced with Oklahoma properties and laws, but am able to answer questions concerning other oil and gas producing states in many cases.

I am a Certified Professional Mineral Manager (CMM) certified by the National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO) in Tulsa, OK. I am also a Registered Professional Landman (RPL) with the American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL). I have managed my family's oil and gas properties in Oklahoma for over 10 years and have dealt with many landmen, title analysts, attorneys and other oil and gas professionals in the process. I have written several articles which have appeared in various oil and gas industry magazines and newsletters. I have negotiated and drafted leases, prepared deeds, affidavits, and other legal instruments relating to my own minerals, as well as performed title, legal research, and curative work for same. I have acquired a good deal of knowledge on the subjects of oil and gas law, mineral appraisal, and landwork over the past ten years, and also worked as a professional landman and lease buyer for a time. I've seen the business from "both sides" and therefore feel confident I can help out most of the folks who ask questions in this forum.

National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO); American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL)

National Association of Royalty Owners "Action Report" (ROAR); NADOA Magazine, The Mineral Hub, Landman Magazine, and several royalty owner association group's newsletters.

Certified Mineral Manager (CMM), Registered Professional Landman (RPL)