Oil/Gas/Mineral Deed and Royalty Deed 20 yr reversion

Question
When a "Royalty Deed" is granted how long does that RI remain effective? If production ceases is there a 20 yr reversion law due to the fact it is a "Royalty Deed"?

Do the same laws pertain to a "Mineral Deed" grant?

Answer
Ryan,
Each state has its own mineral laws.  
In Louisiana, a royalty deed can be granted up to 10 years; no more.  However, production can perpetuate the royalty servitude as long as there is production and until there is a continuous 10-year span of non-production.
In Texas and most other states, a royalty deed is in effect from the date it is granted and it does not expire due to non-production.

You can create a mineral or royalty deed that specifies a shorter term than 10 years, but it cannot be any longer than 10 years.

Hope this information helps.

Thank you for asking.  

Oil/Gas

Laura M. FitzGerald, CPL