Oil/Gas/Mineral Rights

I live in Louisiana in Richland Parish. We purchased our property in March of 2007 as a foreclosure and moved to Louisiana several years later. This year Denbury came out notifying the residents of their seismic survey that they would be doing in the area. Being that I'm not from here we had questions. My husband spoke with two employees whom said that our property was within the unit and we should have been receiving a check. We were told to send our property description to Owner Relations for them to research it. Now after about five month's we received a letter stating that the description of our property location is in the unit, but it does not appear that any minerals or royalties were included. They also said their records do not indicate any ownership of mineral or royalty in my name. She also stated that the cash sale document states the property was bought without a title review. Our title states The parties to this Act take cognizance of the following: Title to all oil, gas and other minerals. What does all of this mean?

Without seeing any documents, I am limited in how much light I can shed on your situation.  To begin, I am assuming that you bought a house on either a town lot or a small parcel of land?  More often than not, the purchase of a residential property (even a foreclosure) is a surface-ownership-only transaction, and does not include mineral rights.  I can safely say that if the previous homeowners who lost the property to foreclosure did not own mineral rights, you could not have acquired mineral rights in the foreclosure.

As for the seismic testing, the nature of that testing requires that surface owners give permission for it if their residence is within a certain number of feet from any explosives detonation.  Overly simplified, seismic testing often uses small explosions set a few feet beneath the earth to allow measurement of the sound waves as they bounce off the deeper earth and come back to the surface.  By "within the unit" I'm fairly certain the employees meant "within the area designated to be surveyed".

A bank or mortgage company foreclosure does not include a title review done for the benefit of the buyer.  The property is sold "as is" and the buyer is expected to do title review on their own, to find out what they bought.  The conveyance document in which you saw the "Title to all oil, gas and other minerals" is probably a pre-printed, standard conveyance form that the financial institution always uses for foreclosures, so it says that oil, gas and other minerals are meant to be included in the sale ONLY if the previous owner held title to them.  A seller can never sell more than what they own.

I hope this information helps you make a little more sense of all of this.  At the least, you should have received a token payment from the seismic survey company for your permission to conduct their testing close to your home.

Marsha Breazeale, M.Ed., CDOA, CPLTA

All questions regarding division orders; ownership decimal calculations; title ownership and payer record changes (testate/intestate inheritance; deed; assignment; court order); oil and gas lease analysis for record-keeping and purposes of payment by operator or payer; pooling, horizontal wells, horizontal well allocation units; unclaimed property reporting; royalty owner relations questions. All questions concerning administration of surface land contracts and payment questions, such as for Surface Right-of-Way, Sub-Surface Right-of-Way, Easement, Surface Use Agreement. All questions regarding industry-standard and company-specific policies that affect land owners.

Sr. Staff Division Order Analyst. Certified Division Order Analyst (CDOA, National Association of Division Order Analysts) and Certified Lease Analyst (CPLTA, National Association of Professional Lease and Title Analysts) with 35 years of experience as a combination division order analyst and lease analyst in exploration and production in the oil and gas industry.

National Assoc. of Division Order Analysts (NADOA), National Association of Division Order Analysts (NALTA), American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL), American Society of Trainers and Developers (ASTD)

"How an Oil & Gas Exploration & Production Company Operates" and "Principles of Oil & Gas Lease Analysis: Standard Clauses", Oil Patch Press; Articles in NADOA Magazine; LandFocus EDU Professional Training Manuals

Education/Credentials Management from Our Lady of the Lake University in San Antonio; M.Ed. in Instructional Design from WGU Texas.

Past 15 years: GeoSouthern Energy Corporation; Contango Oil Co./Crimson Exploration & Operating Inc.; Apache Corporation; BP America; Marathon Oil; Newfield Exploration