Oil/Gas/Ownership research

Hello Mr. Scott,
My Grandfather was an oilman quite a while ago.  We have been approached in the past about a lease in Lincoln Co.  That has been taken care of but this opened up a can of worms.  We know that he had the rights in several counties in Oklahoma and Texas.  He died in 1961 and had a probated will with all mineral rights going to his then wife.  In it there is a specific clause that once his wife died, any and all rights were to go to his two sons (both sons have have passed away) or their surviving family members.  His wife died in 2008 and her Power of Attorney(niece) has been no help in sharing information.  In fact there is evidence that some rights were moved to her name.  OK, now for the Roger Mills connection.  Today I found some notes that my Dad wrote about two specific locations in the county.  How can I find out who owns those rights.  I have the the Section, township and range of each property.  
Thank you for your time,

The will needs to be probated in Oklahoma (called an "ancillary probate") if it has not been done already, in order to pass title legally to your grandfather's heirs.

To find out for sure who owns the rights in Roger Mills County you'd need to do a title search using the records of the county clerk in Roger Mills County. They are online back to a certain point, but prior to that you'd have to visit in person or hire someone (a landman, attorney etc.) to do the research for you. My website, The Mineral Hub, has an article about searching title to determine who owns mineral rights. You can find it under the "Mineral Hub News" tab from the homepage.

If you have any other questions you can contact me through the Mineral Hub website if needed.

Hope this helps you out.
Frederick M. "Mick" Scott CMM, RPL
The Mineral Hub

Frederick M. Scott

Oil and gas leasing, lease negotiations, how to best deal with the oil and gas companies or their representatives, buying/selling mineral rights, forced-pooling, correlative rights, deeds and conveyances, and "post-production" costs. I am most experienced with Oklahoma properties and laws, but am able to answer questions concerning other oil and gas producing states in many cases.

I am a Certified Professional Mineral Manager (CMM) certified by the National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO) in Tulsa, OK. I am also a Registered Professional Landman (RPL) with the American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL). I have managed my family's oil and gas properties in Oklahoma for over 10 years and have dealt with many landmen, title analysts, attorneys and other oil and gas professionals in the process. I have written several articles which have appeared in various oil and gas industry magazines and newsletters. I have negotiated and drafted leases, prepared deeds, affidavits, and other legal instruments relating to my own minerals, as well as performed title, legal research, and curative work for same. I have acquired a good deal of knowledge on the subjects of oil and gas law, mineral appraisal, and landwork over the past ten years, and also worked as a professional landman and lease buyer for a time. I've seen the business from "both sides" and therefore feel confident I can help out most of the folks who ask questions in this forum.

National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO); American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL)

National Association of Royalty Owners "Action Report" (ROAR); NADOA Magazine, The Mineral Hub, Landman Magazine, and several royalty owner association group's newsletters.

Certified Mineral Manager (CMM), Registered Professional Landman (RPL)