Oil/Gas/dont know where to start

About a month ago my mother in law got a letter from an attorney in south texas stating that they've been trying to find out who the royalties from a well or wells need to go to. My mother in law does not have a clue where to start to find out information on any of this. Any help would be appreciated.

The well is in McMullen County,Texas

I hope I understand your information and question correctly.  The letter should have stated the name of the last-known owner of the royalties, otherwise your mother-in-law would not be able to help them.  Is the name given in the letter unfamiliar to her?  It happens quite often that when searching to find the heirs to someone known to be deceased, attorneys will reach out to anyone they even think might be related in some way to the deceased. Your mother-in-laws name and residence information probably looked like she could be someone related to the last-known owner, probably now deceased.

All that I can suggest that she do is to call the attorney at the number given in the letter, and ask questions.  It could turn out that she is, in fact, one of the heirs and could be entitled to royalties.  She will need to get as much additional information about this last-known owner as she can, to start calling her cousins and other relatives to find out if they know anything.  Only then can she determine if the owner is someone she is related to.

Marsha Breazeale, M.Ed., CDOA, CPLTA

All questions regarding division orders; ownership decimal calculations; title ownership and payer record changes (testate/intestate inheritance; deed; assignment; court order); oil and gas lease analysis for record-keeping and purposes of payment by operator or payer; pooling, horizontal wells, horizontal well allocation units; unclaimed property reporting; royalty owner relations questions. All questions concerning administration of surface land contracts and payment questions, such as for Surface Right-of-Way, Sub-Surface Right-of-Way, Easement, Surface Use Agreement. All questions regarding industry-standard and company-specific policies that affect land owners.

Sr. Staff Division Order Analyst. Certified Division Order Analyst (CDOA, National Association of Division Order Analysts) and Certified Lease Analyst (CPLTA, National Association of Professional Lease and Title Analysts) with 35 years of experience as a combination division order analyst and lease analyst in exploration and production in the oil and gas industry.

National Assoc. of Division Order Analysts (NADOA), National Association of Division Order Analysts (NALTA), American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL), American Society of Trainers and Developers (ASTD)

"How an Oil & Gas Exploration & Production Company Operates" and "Principles of Oil & Gas Lease Analysis: Standard Clauses", Oil Patch Press; Articles in NADOA Magazine; LandFocus EDU Professional Training Manuals

Education/Credentials Management from Our Lady of the Lake University in San Antonio; M.Ed. in Instructional Design from WGU Texas.

Past 15 years: GeoSouthern Energy Corporation; Contango Oil Co./Crimson Exploration & Operating Inc.; Apache Corporation; BP America; Marathon Oil; Newfield Exploration